Acute bilateral thigh/knee pain disappeared

Posted , 3 users are following.

My lumber MRI two years ago showed some spinal stenosis. The unilateral leg pain then disappeared for over a year. Ten months ago the thigh/groin pain came back and within the last 6 months the pain has increased at an alarming rate, is felt 24/7 in BOTH thighs, both knees, both shins and one groin, and I can no longer sleep lying down due to awful pain in all of the above. I go to bed with no knee/shin pain but that doesn't last for long as soon as I lie down. The morphine patches don't help, neither does  the iboprufen & nightly amitriptyine.

Today I had another MRI so now its a question of waiting for the results. **However, on coming home, for the first time ever in over 12 months I walked with absolutely no pain. I couldn't believe it. I was walking faster than my grandson! For months now I have been getting around on a miobility scooter. That's how bad my pain has been.  Could anyone explain why this might have happened as I have actually broken down in supermarkets with the awful level of pain**.

I can't get out of a car anymore and I can't raise my right leg. My GP thinks it's my hip more than my spine but my hip Xray didn't look too bad to me.

Thanks if anyone can help....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

While disc dry out its extremely painful once they've dried out the pain lessons but can still cause problems. Wait for yr MRI best answer s will come from that . I get major left hip pain but it's because of my back . Good luck

• Posted

Yes I agree. It's just that no one seems to know whether it's my hip or my spine. But yes I will have to wait for the results.

• Posted

Same thing.  Bilateral pain back, butt, back of both legs, etc. starting last October.  MRI showed stenosis at L2/L3.  This was confirmed by:

- CT/Myelogram with contrast...the "gold standard" spine test.  Gives the docs a complete map of your spine.

- Single spinal pain shot under fluoroscopy at L2/L3 to make sure that was "the spot".

I was already fused L3 through S1.  Doc offered me a choice: Unzip my spine, remove all the hardware and re-fuse me L2 through S1.  Ten days in the hospital plus six months of rehab...

or...

LLIF fusion of L2/L3.  This is a LATERAL procedure (Lateral Lumbar Intervertebral Fusion) where they go in from the side, clear out the disk, insert a "device", use an Allen wrench to EXPAND it (like jacking up a car to fix a flat), backfill with a bone graft from your hip and close.  Overnight stay, no rehab.  Yes, there's 4-8 weeks of decreasing nerve pain since they retracted the nerve roots to do the op.

Search YouTube for "Globus lateral" for a neat animation.  I was walking and climbing stairs stenosis-free two hours after I woke up.  All that pain was gone instantly.  Incredible feat of engineering.  Pix attached.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.