Acute bursitis following a frozen shoulder arthroscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I had a really bad frozen shoulder last year & in Aug had an arthroscopy. Took until Feb to heal, & get about 85% of movement back. I then started strengthening exercises but after about 3 weeks started getting a pain in the shoulder which worsened, so have had this for about 6 weeks now. Returned to the physio who says I have acute bursitis. If I do literally nothing with the shoulder it calm sdown, but as soon as I start using it / doing even the most basic of exercises it gets very angry again. Physio says that the shoulder is unstable, but to make it more stable I need to exercise. However, exercise irritates the bursa and makes it angry again. Anyone suffered from acute bursitis like this, & any advice please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi lindajt96

I would try a cortisone injection into the bursa. It should reduce the inflamation, so you can do your strengthing exercises

I am 2 weeks out from the same surgery, hopefully Ill have no issues regaining strength and ROM. I have had a bursitus in the other shoulder...it was up there with the pain of frozen shoulder

Wishing you all the best with your recovery 😀

• Posted

Hi Oceangirl - hope your surgery recovery is going well. Have yet to see the physio to discuss the injection option with him, but can I ask what treatment you had your bursitis and how long it took for it to go?
  • Posted

Hi - thanks for the advise. My physio did mention that that may be a way to go, so I will discuss that with him next time. I would agree about the pain, but at least I can sleep with the bursitis!

All the best for recovery from your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.