Acute CCPD Disease/ Pseudogout- age 25

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I am a 25 year old snowboard instructor currently living in Japan and I was diagnosed a few days ago with Pseudogout in my left knee. I had been having what I now know was a flare up after watching a pocket of liquid travel from my hip to my knee over the space of a week, accompanied by intense pain. I had bilateral Perthes Disease (Avascular Necrosis) in both hips as a child, and developed Hip Dysplasia a few years ago. Last January, I had an unexplained agonizing pain in my (usually good though dysplastic and arthritic) right hip, which I put down to the Dysplasia and which lead to a pelvic reconstruction surgery- After Friday, my surgeon explained that that was my first Pseudogout attack.

I'm currently working through various surgeries on my hips in attempt to prolong the life of my joints, with the next sceduled in April. Apparently this disease is extremely rare in young adults and I so far haven't found a single person (of any age) on any forums/ FB pages who has it. If any of you are out there I'd love to hear from you! 

Thanks, all!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are right. You are due for your first attack of pseudo gout about 2078! Good luck with your treatment, and good health.

I'm amazed that someone with your joints gets on a snowboard!

• Posted

I got it when I was 14 years old. I believe I'm the youngest gout attack sufferer here. Luckily, all I had was a huge ball on my 3 & 4 metatarsals. But I couldn't walk so being that I was so young I was put in a cast for almost 2-3 months. Until the swelling went down completely. I'm amazed that with your ailments you're still able to teach snowboarding. That sport is hard on the joints and especially the knees.

• Posted

I know nothing about it as I said, except it's an illness of the elderly, having an occurrence of 50% in the over 90s.

However, I found this in a paper

An earlier age of disease onset is observed in the hereditary form and the form associated with other disorders. Therefore, the occurrence of CPPD crystal deposition disease in a young patient merits thorough investigation for an underlying cause such as haemochromatosis, hyperparathyroidism, Wilson's disease, hypophosphatasia or hypomagnesaemia and requires a family study to investigate a possible hereditary cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.