Acute Diverticulitis Diagnosis

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 47 years of age and was diagnosed with Diverticulitis on 7/11/2018.  In the last few years I would say that I have lost a little drive so haven't been exercising, gained weight (I am 6'4" and was at 260 pounds), and was not eating nearly the daily recommended amount of fiber.  Needless to say, pizza will no longer be my friend.  I went to the ER on 7/11 after spending a day at work with pretty severe abdominal pain - I thought maybe appendicitis.  After 10 hours and a CT scan I was diagnosed with D and given cipro and metro for 10 days.

My experience since then and research led me to here for possible advice.  I was on nothing but a clear liquid diet for 72 hours and then tried to introduce some soft foods as recommended.  That did not go well as the abdominal pain immediately returned and I did not eat a thing for 48 hours.  I went back to a clear liquid diet for 72 more hours ending on 7/22.  I have only been "eating" dietary supplement shakes and strained soups since then.  The pain is still there, just not as intense.  I am having regular movements, but it is primarily water to very soft so this has me a little worried.  I also feel wiped out due to the 15 days of basically no food and no relief in sight.  I have lost 25 pounds in those 15 days.

I have plenty of questions, so I will try to narrow them down.  Is it normal to not be able to handle even the softest of foods for so long with D?  Are supplementary shakes a bad way to go or can they be part of my diet (Boost/Ensure/etc.)?  I am almost afraid to try and eat anything for fear of what might happen.  I am thinking a follow up may be needed soon.  Also, I am pretty bullheaded and have been powering through work for most of this - I took off 2.5 days is all.  How long does everyone usually take off to recover?  

Thanks for any advice/replies!!

Andy

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

I have live with D for three years. Pain subsides. It takes time almost a month for me. Definitely nothing greasy, small meals is key(Fist size) Loosing weight is the plus of the disease. Not the healthy way though, but true for most of us. I took out most processed food. I read in this site about great results with this change of diet. good luck!

Luz

• Posted

Hi Luz,

Thanks for the reply.  It has been about a month since I have been diagnosed.  I am glad to say I am feeling almost 100% at this point.  I have lost 39 pounds.  264 down to 225.  I ate applesauce for quite some time after my digestive system started to recover.  I actually have been eating eggs for about 5-6 days as well.  On Sunday I was able to eat a small portion of grilled chicken.  Last night I ate a small piece of salmon and some mashed potatoes.  I am sure you know, but it was like heaven eating again!  I have had no pain after eating and no fear of bowel issues so far.  

I am just hoping that I have no further flare ups.  I am going to follow a much better diet plan and get more exercise as well.  This has been a HUGE wake up call and very debilitating. 

Good luck to you as well.  I hope that you keep it in check and have no further issues.

Andy  

• Posted

Hi Andy

Good to hear you are getting more foods in you. This may be your only attack. Keep your fiber at a minimum of 30 grams a day once you are back to eating normal and you most likely will be ok. I wish you the best.

Julie.

• Posted

You might also try overly cooked veggies such as green beans or spinach.  White rice is also good along with bananas for this stage.  Just slowly add in low residue foots and then when you can tolerate those, add in foods with more fiber one at a time.  
  • Posted

I have it for 6 years now 3 years ago I had part of my bowels removed and rejoined so had 3 years of normality until 4 weeks ago its come back and put me in hospital severe pains and very bad toilet habits I had another ct scan and was told its all over my bowel I have had to pack up work because of it and I am now back on a slow recovery and taking meal replacement drinks as cannot put up with the pain again diets do not help

• Posted

I keep having flare ups with nausea and feel like I have to vomit. I went back on soft foods after just one day of an all liquid diet. I am probably going to email my g.i. doctor. I have anti nausea pills (generic Zofran) but they make me sleepy and constipated...... The flare up symptoms keep getting worse. Suffering for over two months, and two visits to the ER and two hospitalizations....

Need some advice and relief! I know should go on an all liquid diet again for at least 2 days! Ugh!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.