Acute diverticulitis recovery time

Posted , 16 users are following.

I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago on CT with an inflamed diverticulum. Since then, I took antibiotics and have recovered mostly, but the pain has always come back a little bit every few days, and especially in the last day or so. I thought I was recovered last week and then I decided to have a wild weekend and I think it set my recovery back. 

I don’t believe my case is severe diverticulosis disease, but more of a localized issue with a single diverticulum. I’m still under 40 and the CT scan didn’t have any remarks that there was an extensively diverticulosed colon - just the one pocket.

How long does it typically take to recover from acute sigmoid diverticulitis? Weeks, months? A year? I can’t find anything about this out there. Does anyone know? Is this normal that I’m still feeling pain 6 weeks in?

I know that some recommendations say no colonoscopy for 8 weeks, I assume that’s because the area takes that long to heal sometimes?

I hope my situation is common and that I am on the road to recovery and that I just need a little more time.  I have a big trip in 3 Weeks. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i’m just so happy to finally find someplace that validates the continuing pain after diverticulitis attack. I was diagnosed with a micro perforation back in June and here I am seven months later with tiny little twinge is still going on. The antibiotics in the IV made me violently ill and I ended up losing like 20 pounds. And I still have only gained 10 back. You literally worry every day if you’re high fiber diet is going to work. I realize now it is some thing that is forever.

• Posted

Hi Kim358.

I have had DD for 15 + yrs. When I first had an attack the pain would last 3-5 days. Now it seems like my pain never goes away. I have pain and pressure every morning. It last until I have gone poo up to 3 times. The first movement is usually normal and the ones following are loose and sometimes watery. After that I get twinges and pressure all day long. I rarely go anywhere in the mornings.Im considering having the surgery.

• Posted

in the same boat as you. i went to the ER the first of december. 3 months later and several rounds of antibiotic later i still have lingering pain. manageable but lingering. i went about a month feeling almost symptom free no pain regular bowel movements. after a weekend of the stomach flu i now am having pains in my lower abdomen/pelvic region. but really only if i press firmly on the right spot and only then really. anyone think this is just soreness? or am i still dealing with inflammation?

• Posted

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've had several bouts of diverticulitis within the past two years. Initially I didn't know what it was but I had a cat scan last September which confirmed it. After 10 days of antibiotics it got better and I was doing ok until several weeks ago, right before a road trip. Back on 10 days of antibiotics, took them during my vacation, and just feeling back to normal now. I noticed that I get

bouts of it when I'm really stressed. I asked the doctor but he said stress doesn't exacerbate it and I can't

find anything on the internet that claims it's one of the contributing factors. I was wondering if anyone here notices a flare up when you're stressed out. It seems like there's no cut and dry cure for this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.