Acute Gastritis and scared help?

Posted , 9 users are following.

23 year old male. So two days ago Thursday, Aug 30th I had some Mcdonalds at around 3 in the afternoon, it was 10 piece nuggets and medium fries, and I had bbq and ranch sauce and a canned cherry coke which the drink was not from Mcdonalds. Now I would like to go on record that I have had really spicy ramen noodles the other day which I hardly have which may have contributed to this and I have sometimes had mild stomach acid at night but a drink of water makes it go away so I never worry. Mcdonalds and fast-foods never made my stomach feel this way either. So later on during that day I experienced burning sensation on my lower right abdomen below my rib cage now I didn't feel nauseous but I felt that my body was trying to expel the Mcdonalds and so I threw up 3 times in the bathroom and had diareah and loose stools that night with the whole burning sensation. I went to the doctors the next day and told her about my symptoms which were burping every time I drank water, (I drank a ton during the day of the symptom) and just the constant burning on my lower right abdomen. She then said I probably got a virus from the Mcdonalds and told me that I had acute Gastritis and that I had to eat bland food and was prescribed Famotidine 20mg which reduces the stomach acid so that the stomach lining can heal, my question and with the research I have done so far is the only way I could've gotten this is that the food was contaminated with the virus of H pylori and I need medication to treat it or it was caused by NSAIDS which I never take. So why did she only prescribe me Famotidine if she knew I had the virus? Does Famotidine treat that as well? I asked a bunch of questions referring to the burning only being on the right side for the most part and she said that it was normal, she did a physical check of my abdomen by pressing down certain points and asked if it hurt and it did not which she said she did not feel any tenderness. That was the only test she did for me  After that I went home ate a spinach and ham whole wheat bread sandwhich and continued to drink tons of water = tons of trips to the bathroom. Now I have health anxiety and I do extensive research on what I have, and I read that if you leave the Gastritis untreated that it can lead to things like ulcers and stomach cancer which threw me completely into a depression. I'm only 23 and I don't want to die to cancer. Please help me with this problem, am I going to be ok? Can my Acute gastritis be healed? And does Famotidine treat ulcers which will in turn prevent stomach cancer? How likely will I get it? 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorry huge mistake which I didn't realize which would make sense is that I was actually diagnosed with Acute gastroenteritis not acute Gastritis, I don't know the difference between the two but I hope it's better than getting gastritis.

• Posted

100% all acute gastroenteritis means medically is that you’re temporarily puking. This is probably from McDonald’s made you sick. 24 hr virus or not. (There’s a virus that could’ve done it but if I tell you the name of it, you’ll google it and truth is you don’t need to. The word acute means it’s something that is happening right now but won’t keep happening.)

McDonald’s food used to not make millions of ppl sick and these days — those same people all end up with stories like yours. It’s befoming indigestible. And it’s been doing this to stomachs for years. From what you ate. That’s it.  Especially bc you had spicy food before it. This isn’t a big deal. It won’t give you cancer and I really doubt you’d have h. Pylori. 

Now. I have to say one other thing bc truthfully it’s health advice you need. With your level of health anxiety, please, STAY AWAY from googling health stuff. There are millions of legit looking places that aren’t helpful, unless you actually already have the finely honed sense that physicians develop that can tell you what study is worth believing and which isn’t. There are criteria for that you could follow but it wouldn’t be enough. Your anxiety took a “can also cause” and made it a “is gonna cause” thing. Over a condition you don’t even have.... there’s a level of health anxiety that, after that point, those patients need to stop reading online health info. You’re past that point. And removing the health info from your life and mind making just help you out a TON. 

You took a stomachache that made you puke (acute gastroenteritis) and made it cancer and H. pylori.  Two things that don’t come from one night or even a week of throwing up McDonald’s. 

Unless you don’t get better...there’s nothing to worry about. Even then...go to your GP. Don’t google. 

• Posted

In my opinion, you are worrying too much about a problem that is most likely to resolve in a very short amount of time. It takes time for your stomach lining to be damaged by gastritis, it’s not going to happen over night or within a few short days. Give it some time and then proceed with your doctors treatment if needed. I’ve had a fair share of stomach issues for months and related to reflux and gastritis, have yet to develop an ulcer. 
  • Posted

Chicken pieces, if it was that, that's where you got sick from, notorious for being infected with bacteria, in the processing process, being left out of the freezer too long at McDonalds, and or unfrozen and re-frozen.

I very much doubt you have gstrstis, you have gastroenteritis, and no you do not have polaori either.

Stay away from food for a few days, drink boiled cooled water, for the next 24 hours only, and then start to re-introduce bland food, bread, rice, milk, stay away from greasy food for a couple of weeks, ie mcdonald's, just a smear of oil on the bottom of a pan, eat some fish and or fresh chicken, no beef for a few weeks.

• Posted

Hey Lyn thanks for the reply, does Gastroenteritis make me produce the stomach acids that makes me feel the burning sensation? Because I looked up Gastroenteritis and I found nothing that has to do with my stomach burning on the inside compared to Gastritis.I also forgot to mention that I had a fever last night that went away in an hour of drinking some cold water. My back is also aching now which I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I went to wal-mart and bought activia yogurt blueberry/strawberry, and POM blueberry the drink. 

• Posted

Even better. You have a stomach bug that should resolve in a week max. I’ve had plenty of stomach bugs, worst one lasted a week and a half. However they do go away within a few days on their own without meds. Only thing I take is zofran for nausea if needed. Otherwise just eat a bland diet in the  meantime: soup, crackers, banana, rice, etc. 
    • Posted

Hey dg, I was wondering did you have symptoms of burning sensation? Because that is what I am really concerned with. I ate a banana earlier and had some pourage after taking my PPl. I just want to know if it makes sense that I would get a constant burning sensation in my stomach after food poisoning because most food poisoning stories I heard were people just kept throwing up and having diarrhea and feeling nauseous but I didn't feel nauseous at all during the past few days, just the stomach burning which I am again, very concerned with but again the doctor said that is normal.

• Posted

Yes. You get stomach acid in excess with gastroenteritis. That’s 100% what you’re experiencing. Been there done that too many times to count!
    • Posted

Yes your stomach will produce as much extra acid, muscus as it deems necessary to make the bacteria clear out and or kill it, sometimes the extra acid will make the pain even worse, and nasty taste in the back of your throat, and or tossing up acid into the back of your throat, again nasty taste, and sometimes even cough.
  • Posted

If you started to feel terrible after mc Donald’s I suspect more you have a stomach bug that should clear in a week or 3 stay hydrated try and continue to eat bland and healthy if it persists do a follow up burning in your stomach may possibly gastritis or can be acid reflux or indigestion which produces burning sensation in your stomach. Best thing if it persist have them to check you for h pylori via breath or stool test blood test will tell you as well but breath or stool can confirm if you have the bacteria which if you do will be put on antibiotics, don’t stress about it it will only make your symptoms worse a tense head sends signals to your stomach which will produce more stomach acid if your on ppi I would try and find alternatives long term use of ppis can be harsh on you and you will get acid rebound. Feel free to ask I myself have stomach issues.
    • Posted

Hey Noctilz do you have a better way I can message you maybe through a chatroom? Also I was prescribed Famotidine 20mg and I have noticed that whenever I take it I feel light-headed and my chest feels tight so I will stop taking it, but I am worried when the acid comes back, Are there natural remedies to make the burning stop? Also, I'll have to wait until Tuesday and maybe do a drop-in appointment to tell them if my burning sensation continues. 

• Posted

It’s pepcid. 

You’re dizzy probably from being sick. 

Other options: maylox, mylanya, pepto bismol...these kinds of things. 

But Pepcid is what most hospitals use. 

• Posted

If you go to the doc over that burning sensation (it’s stomsch acid! Yes. Even on the right side. Where it comes from....) at best they’ll recommend the same thing and tell you to go home and rest. 

Buddy. For your own sake. Stop worrying and please stop googling and watch tv or go to sleep so you can heal. And pls stay off google. It’s only making you way too scared when you don’t need to be. And PLEASE, let me say this. Like officially: it’s just a severe stomach ache. That’s layman’s terms for acute gastroenteritis. And you’re going to be completely fine. Okay? You are.

• Posted

Hey there. Listen I have severe gastritis and yes you will be fine however I suggest stop the famotidine as in was prescribed the same thing and it did nothing for me so I spoke to a different GI and she prescribed pantaprazole however I couldn't handle the side effects so she said I could take over the counter zantac 75 as it is the same thing just dosent require a prescription I take it 2× daily and it works!!! Zantac is a PPI( proton pump inhibitor) so therefore stops the stomach from producing so much acid and that is where gastritis comes from. Basically the stomach lining is becoming inflamed. Stop eating spicy greasy foods as those kinds of food makes it worse and if you decide to give the zantac a try take everyday dont miss a day bc if you do will feel it something serious and you will need to continue to take it for a long time I'm talking months. I am not a health care professional however I went to school for a particular profession in healthcare so I have medical terminology. Best of luck to ya.

• Posted

Also I forgot to mention the stomach burning is totally normal.

• Posted

Hi babygirl82! How long have you had stomach issues? Mine started last year and up to now I still suffer.

I 've been now out on nexium and mebeverine.the side effects are horrible!!!

• Posted

Hi christelle I have had stomach issues as far back as I can remember... i am 36 yrs old and I have suffered my whole life. I too tried nexium and it did nothing for me as it is omeprazole so that's why I decided to take zantac 75 no side effects and works well for me.

• Posted

Hi Baby girl! I am 36 years old too and my tummy issues seem to be getting worse. I m seeing another doctor today and hear if he will be willing to try and fix it. I am so frustrated.
    • Posted

Hello christelle as I said before I have had issues as far back as i can remember however i actually just found a doctor about 5 yrs ago that could tell me what was wrong. Dont give up just keep seeing one doctor after another until you get some answers eventually you will find that right one that really wants to help. If you dont mind my asking where do you live? I am kn the US south Florida to be exact.
    • Posted

Thanks baby girl...I will keep looking. I am in Africa. So far from you. Lol

Thanks to this forum,I found people like you who actually understand what I go through everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.