Acute headache followed by sensation of wanting to fall forward. I don't feel "right."

Posted , 2 users are following.

Monday, February 1st I was walking down a long hallway at my school (I am a teacher coach) and reached my destination where I found the colleague I intended to speak with busy with a student. I told him I would come back in 30 minutes and see if he was wrapped up so that we could talk. I walked back down the long hallway and stopped in another teacher's room to chat and warm up as our school is freezing and her room is one of the warmer places in the building. I leaned against the wall while we chatted and started to feel like I was slipping, but passed it off as my shoes sliding across the linoleum underneath me. I left to head back down to the hall after 20 minutes or so.

While walking down the long hallway I started to feel a little dizzy that got progressively worse as I went further down the hallway. I eventually stopped and felt a dull pain on the top of my head and the sensation of wanting to fall face forward. I did an about face and headed back to my office trying to keep my balance and not look like I was having an issue despite very much having one. I made it to my office and sat there the rest of the afternoon.

I left work and went straight home and laid down. I was up later than I should have been the night before playing video games ( nerd) and figured I was sleep deprived. I took a nap and felt better, but still unsure of my footing. It took me longer to get to sleep that night because of the nap, but still feel asleep and woke up the next morning still feeling off. The dull pain on the top of my head had now migrated to the right side of my head and was less intense. I also had a tingling sensation on my forehead that resembled a sensation I have had off and on for years with no explanation for. That sensation had never had any balance issues associated with it.

Throughout the rest of the week while much less impactful than it was on Monday I still felt and feel off. I did exercise on Tues-Thurs including my normal treadmill routine on Thursday. I live in Iowa so I also had to deal with a lot of snow removal this week and did so without any issues. Again, I don't feel "right", but not as off on Monday.

Friday I couldn't decide if I was making my condition persist by being freaked out or if there was or is something legitimately wrong. I went to my general practitioner yesterday and he checked me out. He ran basic neurological tests that I passed and checked my blood pressure in different positions (sitting, laying, standing) and nothing gave him concern. He mentioned taking Dramamine or another motion sickness medication if I felt like I did on Monday again. He didn't have an answer for what caused the acute headache which I characterized as a surge or rush to my head. He actually forgot I mentioned the headache at the beginning of my appointment when I brought it up at the end of my appointment.

Today, I went to my son's basketball game and I feel disconnected from everything. Like I am not here. I have a tingling sensation in the middle of my forehead and under my right eye. When I rub these areas they temporarily go away and then return. I feel a weird sensation on the top of my head. I feel off. I got some groceries early and felt weird walking like I have most of the week. I took a little nap earlier despite going to bed early last night and getting about 10 hours of sleep to see if it might help a bit.

I don't know what to do next. I haven't tried to the motion sickness meds yet so that would be a next step, but that struck me as a stretch given no issues with motion sickness previously. While I know it is unreasonable to expect a general practitioner to know causes of every single thing, I was expecting more than a shrug of the shoulders. That isn't fair given the neurological tests he administered came back normal. I have no problems with remembering names, information, or performing routine tasks, but I am at my wits end with what to do to address this.

I am a 44 year-old male on meds for hypertension and cholesterol. 6'3", 265 pounds. I have lost 23 pounds since October. My blood pressure is well under control and I am active with 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 times per week.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hope you find answers, i feel light headed at times but i think its the metoprolol i take. headaches/pains on n off for 2 plus years and worse recently. waiting on mri but neck xray shows arthritis. try to ignore it , works wonders if you dont think about it

• Posted

Thank you for the response. I have attempted to put it out of my mind, but today it hit me especially hard and I couldn't ignore it. I left work early, picked up the motion sickness meds my doctor recommended, and stay home tomorrow to see how taking the meds impact me. I also had a new symptom develop with pain in my T1 vertebrae that radiated up my neck. That started a couple of days ago, but hit me particularly hard this morning and then went away. I went to my chiro to have him work on my neck.

It seems to impact me when I have to walk distances longer than those inside my home. If I have to go from my office to my bedroom that distance really doesn't trigger much, but walking from my car to drop off my son at school this morning and I felt it by the time I began walking back. I am hopeful that the motion sickness meds make a positive impact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.