Acute intolerance to pentasa enema

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all I've been using pentasa enemas once a night for a month to treat proctitis which on my Last scope in September was only 1cm of inflammation. The enemas worked within 2 days and I had no blood or mucus which were my only symptoms .

Last Saturday I started getting cramps at the bottom of my stomach throughout the day. My stools were a little loose but I only went once a day so wasn't concerned . The cramps continued to come and go and by Tuesday they were pretty bad and I had diahrreah too . I rang the ibd nurse who told me to stop using the enemas and to ring back on Friday if I was no better .

The nurse ordered a stool sample to rule out infection and to check for c diff . That was sent off on Friday.

I spoke to the nurse on Friday morning and by then my stool was slightly more formed but had a small amount of blood on it during some bm 's and the cramps had eased a little but not completely gone so she told me to start using the enemas again as she doubted it was them causing the problem .

I used one Friday night and got up Saturday like a new person . No pain at all .....until I used the enema Saturday night. Within an hour of using it the cramps were back with a vengeance . I was up and down all night with cramps and a mixture of mucus ,blood , watery stool and normal stool and I've been like it on and off today . I really don't want o do an enema tonight in case it is them causing this .

The cramps are the thing I can't deal with they are like menstrual cramps but also burn . It's like being in labour .

Any suggestions would be great

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi michelle34409

I have not used pentasa enemas but use pentasa suppositories. It's very important to continue treatment for your inflammation. My advice would be to ring your IBD clinic first thing in the morning. You should not be suffering burning cramps. I would want to be examined & meds discussed. If you are in a lot of pain & bleeding you could always ring the nhs out of hours number for advice. They may take your details & get a doctor to phone you back to advise whether to use the enema this evening. Better than you worrying what to do for the best. Hope you get a good nights rest. 

• Posted

Hi Michelle me again! The burning cramp pain may not be related to your condition - either way tomorrow please ring the doctor & get it checked out.  All the best. B

• Posted

Thank you. I'm not sure if I did right or not but I didn't use the enema last night . I just needed sleep . I did manage to sleep all night .I ve left a message for the ibd nurse to ring me so hopefully we can discuss what happens next .

• Posted

Hi Michelle I'm glad you got back to me & had a good nights sleep. hopefully youlll get an appointment asap at the IBD clinic & review your meds etc. That's what I would be wanting. B

• Posted

I'm hoping so too . I can't go on like this . I have my first driving lesson on Wednesday which it looks like I may have to cancel . I 'll let you know how I get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.