Acute Prostatitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello i'm 29 years old and here is my story:

About 14 days ago I start having abdominal pain . It was all over the bowel from back to front so i went to gastroenterology and they said that i have irritable bowel and prescribed me some trimebutine maleate (debridat in my country) and Otilonium bromide ( Spasmomen) and some probiotics. I took the treatment for 4 days but my pain got worse and i went to emergency because i had fever ( 38.3*C) and the pain started to locate in the back, in the kidney area.

They said that i have renal microlithiasis after an abdominal ecography and they gave me some meds to elimitate that "sand". After 4 days of this treatment there was no improvement whatsoever.

I made an appoiment to an urologist yesterday and after an abdominal ecography he said that i have an enlarged prostate with dimension : 32.5/42.7/33.6 and volume : 24.5. He also made a digital rectal examination and also said that indeed the prostate feels inflamed/enlarged and he said that i could have acute prostatitis.

I made some blood test of PSA total and free and the results are very high: PSA Total 14.0483 ng/ml , Free PSA 0.86.48 ng/ml, Free PSA/PSA Total 0.06.

I made some urine culture test and urinalysis and they are clear.

Today i made Semen Culture test and ADN for chlamydia and gonorrhea from urine test and i still wait for the results.

The doctor also recomanded me to make some urethral secretion test (urethral swab) but i don't want it because of the pain and discomfort.

I have no trouble with urination, i have no urethral discharge, i have no frequent urination ( i feel like i go to the bathroom less, but maybe is just a feeling). I made fever 3 times only in first 10 days but in the last 4 days i didn't. The pain starts  only in the morning and last till evening . I can sleep , the pain is very mild at night.

And if i take some anti inflamatory pill like Ibuprofen the pain goes 90% away .

The only things that bothers me is the pain that is more accute in the kidney area instead of prostate area where is mild and sometimes my testicles are sensitive.

The question is : 1) it can it be acute prostatitis ?

2) an acute prostatitis can be diagnosed without urethral secretion test (urethral swab) ? And if so what tests are the most concludent?

3) is there an alternative for urethral secretion test (urethral swab) ?

4) the doctor toldl me that i don't have to worry about cancer, but i am a very anxious person . Can it be high PSA releated with cancer in my case?

5) Can be acute prostatis without bacterial infection?

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have similar problems .I tried lactose free milk and also fermented milk / buttermilk , because my tummy was rumbling all the time.

If you take anti biotics it’s essential to take pro biotics to replace the bacteria that live in your large intestine and which assist you to digest your food.

My prostate was 101 ml as I am 64.

I recently had a PAE ....prostate artery embolizatio ...this has helped too

• Posted

Acute prostatitis is usually sorted by antibiotics. It can certainly cause the symptoms you suggest and a lot more ! Yes , it will make your psa high and can cause all sorts of pelvic pain and problems with urination . Mine was diagnosed by a biopsy . At 29 you are very unlikely indeed to have PC. Have you not been prescribed antibiotics? 
  • Posted

Similar age and I have been experiencing some of the above for the last couple of weeks plus more, general abdominal/back pain/discomfort, testicular tenderness but with a slight urge to urinate, also all are mostly alleviated by ibuprofen...  I'm pretty convinced it will be prostate related and probably prostatitis.  I say this because I have a history of prostate problems I had a PSA of 12 last year and went through, two MRI's, two biopsies totalling 97 core samples between them.  The first allegedly found 1.3mm of gleason 6 prostate cancer the second 73 core found nothing and the initial biopsy was assumed to be an error or incidental finding both MRI were mp and didn't show anything significant same with an ultrasound of the kidneys, bladder and prostate.  I was diagnosed with scelrosing adenosis and for my age an enlarged prostate.  I have had a episode like the above before that was put down to prostatitis, antibiotics seemed to sort it out and this is the first recurrence I've had for a long time, I believe its quite a common problem.     

• Posted

Semen culture test and urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea are all clear.

I notice that when i sit on a chair for a long time and when i take a deep deep breath i have pain in the kidney area.

Tommorow i have another appoiment to doctor, i hope he can take me some treatment.

• Posted

Semen culture test and urine test for chlamydia and gonorrhea are all clear.

I notice that when i sit on a chair for a long time and when i take a deep deep breath i have pain in the kidney area.

Tommorow i have another appoiment to doctor, i hope he can give me some treatment.

• Posted

Semen Culture test and ADN for chlamydia and gonorrhea are negative.

I went to my urologist again and he prescribed me levofloxacin 500mg / day . I take 1 pills and i made a small urticaria on my face. Then he changed the levofloxacin to ofloxacin but after i take it my feet became numb like i dont have force in my feet.

I called him again today and he said to stop all antibiotcs and to make the PSA test again after 7 days.

Why he prescribed me antibiotics when the semen culture and urine culture are negative?

He said that only antibiotics that penetrate the prostate wall are fluoroquinolones which have very bad side effects. Is that true?

• Posted

I don't think fluoroquinolones are the only ones but definitely the most often prescribed.  I was given cipro 250 for 28 days last year but didn't have any serious side effects but I believe side effects are more common than in some antibiotics.  I think sometimes they prescribe antibiotics for prostate issues on the off chance as it can be quite difficult to determine the cause.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.