Acute Prostatitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I completed 43 radiation treatments (EBRT) on March 31 2017. Almost 6 months later. (YESTERDAY) 9-19-2017. I was diagnosed with Prostatitis. I went to my Family doc thinking I had a bladder or urinary infection, urinating was very painful. Turns out I had Prostatitis. now I have 4 weeks of antibiotics (levofloxacin 500mg) , plus back to Flomax.

Is it common to have this condition 6 months after completion of EBRT? This condition is just like side effects I was having during radiation treatments.

Comments or suggestions would be helpful.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Roger, It's good to hear from you, but sorry you are having the prostatitis. I've had that and it is no fun. The antibiotics do work though. I was prescribed Ciprofloxacin 500mg. It took care of the infection and I have had no further occurrence. Hopefully you will do the same... and be done with it.

Charles

• Posted

Hi Charles!

Thanks for the encouragement. When you think you are done with prostate issues, you are quickly reminded about the dreadful disease. One ways or another. Good to see you are doing okay my good friend. You take care.

Roger

• Posted

I have a question about your remark about the side effects of EBRT.  Was the EBRT  done for recurrent prostate cancer or was it for the initial treatment for PC?

Secondly, since I am probably going to begin EBRT soon, I am anxious about the side effects of the treatment.

• Posted

Hello Richard,

The EBRT treatment was for the  initial treatment . Side effects are tolerable, fatigue in my opinion is the worst, that will be more prevalent towards the middle and end of treatments. You will have burning when you urinate, and some bowel discomfort, at least this was my experience. You will be required to drink water prior  to each treatment , and hold it until treatment is finished. (JMO.. this was the worst part.)

Roger

• Posted

Hi Roger

Sorry to hear about the Prostatitus and the discomfort. When I met with my radiologist this week, he mentioned that the problems occur more often with longer cycles of EBRT BUT help is on the way. A new device is going through human trials that will put more space between the bladder, large intestine and the prostate and reduce drmatically developing Prostatitus. My 26 treatments were well tolerated compared to your longer cycle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.