Acute Severe Pancreatitis and Omeprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

My husband has just returned home after 25 days in hospital, 8 of those in Intensive Care.

He was diagnosed with Acute Severe Pancreatitis. He has been prescribed Omeprazole, along with many other medications, and I was just wondering what role these played in helping the Pancreas as the Doctor didn't really explain much? Does anybody else take these? I've heard that they can be bad for you?

Sorry, I'm just so worried as it's been an awful few weeks and want to make sure that everything we are doing is correct.

Many Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It'll help him not puke all the time. It was a life saver for me until I had to have my pancreas removed but I was born with a rare pancreas condition that caused chronic pancreatitis. Acute or chronic pancreatitis is very disabling. Childbirth is hard but this disease wins … they say kidney stones hurts worse than labor and I say it doesn't, leaking spinal fluid hurts worse. Pancreas pain is up there. What other meds did they give him? Hopefully pain meds (sometimes they help sometimes they don't), nausea and acid reflux. Keep him very hydrated, away from solid foods. Give him Ensure or broth for a couple days (his pancreas needs rest) then he should be okay.

• Posted

sorry to hear about your husband's ordeal. Acute pancreatitis is indeed very serious and the aftermath is not easy . He needs to rest his pancreas and the best thing is a strict diet for several weeks or even months. I had 4 so far with hospitalization each time running from 7 to 9 days, not fun.. I am still being very careful what I put in my mouth. He should eat a no fat/ low fat diet , sugar not good ( replace with Pure organic Maple syrup or Agave syrup, honey ( if no IBS), no fake sugars. Drink plenty of water , no alcool .

Small meals like 4-5 times a day to not overload his pancreas.

Sad diet but worth it . The Omeprazole as well as Protonix help for the acidity I believe in the stomach . Good luck to your husband and yourself.

• Posted

I had acute pancreatitis two years ago now, they don't really tell you much, main thing for me was a low fat diet and absolutely NO alcohol. Has taken me this long to start feeling normal again. I take lanprozole which is similiar to Omeprazole it helps with acid reflux which can irrate the pancreas. I don't take it all the time now but have it in case of a flare up. It will be trail and era for a while until you find out what suits you and what doesn't. It is very scarey but if you keep to a good diet your husband will start to feel better soon. Good luck

• Posted

I'm so sorry I got it confused with Ondansetron (generic for Zofran), the prescription you have can treat acid reflux, damaged esophagus, stomach ulcers and GERD (it's generic for Prilosec which is over the counter). I personally think Prilosec works better but your hubby will need something for acid reflux. When you get pancreatitis you feel heartburn but you don't actually have heartburn, it's acid reflux. There's different medications and some work better than others but what may work for one may not work for another, he will need to try them out. I went through a slew of medications before I found the ones that helped me. Some can make you worse, even over the counter medication can have a huge effect on you (hubby). You can always talk to a pharmacist if you have concerns too.

• Posted

Hi i have CP and take omeprazole for about 20 years and are great for acid reflux and they work good with creon when eating . Make sure he drinks or sips water . And small meals or broth soup is good . Dont rush anything he will need plenty of rest and if your not sure what the Doctors are telling you come back and we will be here for you

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your advise, its so reassuring to know we're not alone.

I am making sure he has a low fat diet bit the last week in hospital, he was given 3 meals a day not 4 or 5 small meal and so we have continued to do this at home as we were given no advice other then low fat?

Also Another thing you lovely people might be able to help with? When my Husband was in hospital for the last week, he was on Oxycodone and taking it every 2 hours. When he was released, he was sent home with some but this says every 4 hours? He is nearly out but still in quite a bit of pain. The doctors have said he's taking too much but he's taking the same as he was in hospital? Why would the dosage change? Also, what else could he take if they don't prescribe any more? He can't take Morphine.

Thank you all so much x

• Posted

Hi Wendy!

I have chronic calcific pancreatitis. I have never been prescribed that but am on phenergan therapy and creon. I hope he finds relief!

• Posted

Hi Wendy!

I have chronic calcific pancreatitis. I have never been prescribed that but am on phenergan therapy and creon. I hope he finds relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.