Acylovir how long?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I’m experiencing my first episode of shingles unfortunately. Started last Sunday but I thought it was sciatica Tuesday night the rash appeared and I got to the doc and started the meds within 24 hours. Rash is over half my butt and inside my buttock skin too a bit sad that bit is the worst as it rubs naturally and I can’t sit or walk without pain. Those blisters remain open and oozing all others have scabbed over. I finish the seven days of acylovir tomorrow evening. Should I ask to stay on it? And re pain control is there anything at all I can put on this rash? The open lesions I mean. 

I’m presently on acylovir five times a day and Remedeine forte and ibuprofen as needed. Pain is less than it was and ok yes I went and got lysine too and I’m taking that three times a day to help too. 

Thanks for any help. I intend to ask for the vaccination is it a year clear you have to be in uk??

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Manxie,

I am so sorry you are going through this.

When you are walking in your home, you might place a telfa (non-stick) dressing over the areas that are rubbing.

At night, you might use Solarcaine with Aloe or Bactine. Both contain Lidocaine, which numbs the area and soothes the pain.

You need to rest and sleep as the varicella virus causes fatigue and exhaustion. Every time you move, the pain increases markedly. You cannot power through this disease.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

The Shingrex vaccine has just been released by Glaxo-Smith-Kline and I would wait for that vaccine over Zostavax. It's efficacy rate is 90-93% vs 53-37% of Zostavax.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Also, Acyclovir is usually given seven to ten days, but usually seven days.

If the vesicle-blisters are mostly scabbed over, and new ones are not forming, you are probably not in need of an extension of Acyclovir.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Julieanna. Do you know if the new vaccination will be available in the U.K. though? 

Thanks Ali

• Posted

It is not available yet anywhere! It was just approved by the FDA in the US. Glaxo-Smith-Kline has to ramp up production and distribution, which it probably already has, sign contracts. I do not know its final approval in the UK and Europe, although I am certain it will or has been approved.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.