Adaptogens side effects

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I have been told that I have adrenal fatigue (some practitioners seem to believe Its a real condition and others don't). I originally took adrenal support supplements which made me severely anxious and depressed so I was advised to try adaptogens herbs as a milder support. I've been taking ashwagandha at night for a week and I have never felt so depressed in all my life. Are the supplements likely to cause this? I find it a strange coincidence that I've had such a dramatic drop in mood since taking this and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences? I should also mention I have underactive thyroid and my levels are quite low which is why I have been told to heal my adrenals first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end with this.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Anything that makes you feel that way you should stop taking it

My thyroid is low too I take 75 g levo daily. I also take primrose oil I used to take vitamin b12 but it used to make me shake so I stopped it.

I understand it can be so difficult to get the right level but taking something that makes you feel worse is not good for you.

Try and keep yourself active get your motabalisim on level a good level . I try eat fish meat veg grout and only now Take primrose oil and thyroxine I keep a good diet and stay active

Please 're visit your doctor and tell them. You have to be really firm and tell them it's destroying you. I now live in Spain was in the uk and take the equivalent of thyroxine here. Since using the Spanish ones and changing my diet my hair no longer falls out

Where do you live? What's your lifestyle like?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks sue. I hear what you are saying and I have stopped taking it as I'm sure it was causing issues. I live in the UK and I take natural dessicated thyroid medication which I buy privately as levothyroxine didn't work well for me as I don't convert my t4 to t3 very well. Even when I was on high levels of levothyroxine I still felt completely drained all the time. However I find any medication containing t3 is quite stimulating for me so I struggle to increase it so I'm in a catch 22 situation. Did you notice any positive effects with the primrose oil?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.