Add son refuses to go to school

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 4 year old and son refuses to go to school. What should I do?

I can not get him dressed as he is so strong and kicks me.

He screams and thrashes about.

The shear mention of the word school or the sight of his uniform results in a meltdown. It is like I am taking him into a burning house. He really is terrified.

Help please

A desperate mum 😢😢

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does your son have a diagnosis?  

I would be honest with the school and explain what is going on then seek further advice.  There will be someone at your county council who will be able to advise you further.  

It may be that main stream schooling is not the right place for your son, in any case there are other options including home schooling.  Lots of people find that's the answer for their children and choose this above other options.  In many areas people who home school meet up regularly doing things together so it needn't be an isolating move.  

I'm jumping ahead of myself here because I have been where you are now and ended up home schooling.  I tried lots of other things first such as meeting a friend and trying to go in with them.  It sounds as though that isn't an option here though.  Speak to the school and ask if there is anyone who they would advise you to contact.  You should also speak to your doctor and make him/her aware of the situation.  

You do need to make sure you explain the situation to the right people though, because you don't want to put yourself in a position where you get a fine for not sending him to school, which I know obviously isn't the case here.

Make sure you remain calm and reassuring around your child, no matter how you feel as he will respond very much to what he picks up from you.

• Posted

Does your son eat a good balanced diet of meat, fish, eggs, poultry and dairy produce together with plenty of green vegetables like sprouts, broccoli beans etc?

If he is "faddish" about what he will (or won't) eat, it may be that he is simply Vitanin B12 deficient.

We are born with a limited amount of B12 stored in the liver and the only natural way of obtaining it and "topping up" our store is through the foods mentioned above.

"Pediatric Vitamin B12 Deficiency: When Autism Isn't Autism. Often misdiagnosed, vitamin B12 deficiency can place children at high risk for permanent brain injury. ... It is well documented that B12 deficiency can cause developmental delay, hypotonia, tremor, seizures, failure to thrive, reduced IQ, and mental retardation".

If you are happy that your lad is eating healthily enough to rule out B12 deficiency, that's good, otherwise a simple blood test can determine whether or not he needs to be supplemented which is easily done.

I hope you find an answer to his behaviour as I know it is distressing as I have a grandson with similar problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.