Addicted to co-codamol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking co-codamol for years now and I am in my 20's I want to stop or at least reduce it but I am really struggling and feel scared about jow dependent I am. I was prescribed it for migraines, period pain & IBS but I have also been using it to help me sleep as I have insomnia. I am thinkimg about starting a family but the thought of having to stop taking it is really weighing me down. I also take amytriptiline and promephazine. I have found it extremely difficult to access support and feel depressed about this situation I have created for myself. Has anyone else had a similar situation and overcome their addiction?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, seen your message and thought I would give you a reply as I am kinda in the same situation as yourself , am 27 years old and currently pregnant now am going to just tell u my honest advice lol a would speak to your doctor and ask if you could gradually reduce them , i was on them for years and was totally addicted taking more than I was suppose to I fell pregnant and was getting weaned off but felt like i kept wanting to take more wish is really selfish of me so I decided to stop taking them all together and go cold turkey and I won't lie it hasn't been easy the sickness , having the runs, cold and flu symptoms and I have never had a problem sleeping but insomnia was bad at one point I never slept for nearly 3 days I have been through every emotion possible crying feeling like I can't cope etc just depressed and had really bad anxiety which I have never had before but I think it's more to do with in my brain i feel like I can't function without codeine but u can ! Honestly times I have went how am I going to cope if am still feeling this down and I have a baby coming along in 3 months but u can do it honestly ! Just stay on your anti depressents I made the silly mistake of coming off mine which was why I felt even worse , but if you want to start a family best advice come off these first and then u will be totally healthy don't do what i done lol as it's a lot harder when your pregnant haha I got so bad with worrying i was phoning helplines etc for advice but speak to your doctor and be totally honest and say your addicted and he will reduce u better maybe doing it that way and then u will have less withdrawals but it's just trying to stick to what the doctor gave you and not taking anymore than you should which was my problem honestly though Hun u can do this and if I can then you can as I have a very addictive personality and also struggle with depression but there is light at the end of the tunnel your doing the best thing cocodomal numbs all your feelings and really we aren't functioning properly and when u stop taking them everyday feels scary but it will get easier a think after 2 weeks most symptoms will disappear and you will start to feel back to yourself just think you won't always feel like this again ! Plus you will be able to get something from gp to help with withdrawals such as maybe sleeping tablets and vallium to calm you down trust me you will be fine xxx

• Posted

Thank u so much for your response i was in a really low and lonely place when i wrote that and i really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I went to see my GP last week and he has reduced it from 30 to 15mg. I am really struggling. I have realised that I was using it mainly to numb myself from feelings that i dont want to feel. Im am 26 when i was younger i smoked alot of weed to numb myself too. I understand now that i wasnt fully functioning whilst on the codeine. I am 1 week into a looooooong jouney and it seems very difficult and scary. But knowing you did it gives me hope. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been addicted to cocodamol 30/500 for almost 8years, managed to top when I fell pregnant in 2013 but sadly went back on them for my sciatica shortly after the birth.  I can’t say I’ve tried again to stop up until last week when I suddenly realised that the amount I was taking and the fact I have 2 beautiful to children to live for  as well as the constant distraction of how I was going to get more.  I started tapering last Thursday, where as before I would take more than 7 doses of 2 tablets through the day, I only took the recommended 4 doses of 2 tablets that day, on the Friday I cut one dose out so only took 3 doses, over the weekend I took 2 tablets in the morn and 2 in the eve. Monday I took 2 in the morning and 2 in the eve again , Tuesday 2 in the morn and only 1 in the eve. And this morn 1 tablet only.   Last night I had some trouble getting to sleep but one was I went to sleep I actually woke up late this morn, and my legs are very achy today. Other than that I was fine this morn...  I think tapering is a much better option than going cold turkey. Especially if you have a job, and all the responsibilities that cleans with everyday life as everything is still manageable , yes a little harder but I’m feeling more positive everyday.  Have you tried tapering? 
    • Posted

Do you mean like weaning off? I am doing it monthly as i have a long way to go with alot of medication
    • Posted

Yes sorry weaning.  Well that’s a good start..😊 how are feeling doing it. What is your current dosage.  Hope your doing ok. 

• Posted

I honestly dont know how I am just trying really hard and struggling. I either cant sleep or fall asleep and wake up soon after and cant sleep. Also having really bad pains in my body especially in my legs.
  • Posted

Ahhh I know it’s extremel hard, and my legs are hurting today too..   have you got any support ? Other than the gp. 
    • Posted

Forgot to mention i keep a tube of ibuprofen gel where the cocodamol used to live in my bedside table! My family is supportive but they dont really understand as they havent experienced it. I have not shared with my Husband. How about you?
    • Posted

I have not spoke to anyone about it , I’m too ashamed.  I’ve always hidden it.. my partner ha s asked as a joke if I’m addicted and I’ve always laughed it off and joked around.  He’s doesn’t know the full extent.   Do you work, have things to keep you occupied. I’m finding work is a godsend as it keeps my mod busy. 
    • Posted

I work but the point is that I was self medicating for insomnia so my issues are at night when he is fast asleep. He knows I take alot of meds but has never cared or taken an interest so I dont want to share any of this process with him. Just out of curiosity how old are you and what city do you live in? Please do not share any private info!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.