Addicted to food, please help!

Posted , 20 users are following.

I really hate making for excuses for being overweight but I'm having such a hard time not eating like a pig. I hate the size that I am. I want desperately to be healthy. Its like a HAVE to eat sugary foods. I get stressed and really upset and food makes me so happy. its like the best part of my dad is food. I don't know what to do. I can't stop eating. I eat even if I'm not hungry. It just makes me so happy. I feel so bloated and fat all the time. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

I think the first step is realising you have a problem or an addiction and you could be referred to a counselling service or somewhere that deals with eating disorders/addictions by your GP might help you understand why you want to eat all of the time. It might be that if your BMI is sufficiently you could be a candidate for wgt loss surgery but again it would be down to your GP to refer you and you would have to satisfy the bariatric team that you would be suitable for this type of surgery. You could try joining a slimming group such as wgt watchers or slimming world or somewhere that your GP could recommend as being accountable to somebody every wk might be beneficial in losing wgt - a lot depends really on how much you have to lose as to what would get the best results for you - good luck.

• Posted

All of the above comments. I had weight loss surgery and simply 'can't' eat too much food. That's why I'm 10 stone, not 17.5. I totally get your situation.

• Posted

yes but wgt loss surgery is not for everyone and is not a magic wand so I think it is important that micaela gets the addiction to food side of things sorted out cos whilst WLS would probs stop him/her from eating vast quantities of food it would not stop grazing and eating/drinking small amounts and there is always the danger of transfer addiction without the comfort of food - It is great that it has worked for you and well done on your wgt loss but micaela probs needs to explore lots of possible methods of wgt loss before going down this rd unless of crs her GP thinks otherwise

• Posted

completely agree. However, it is important to consider all options. For some people the idea of a band is too much. But, if they gave it a sense of reality, alongside the correct preparation, it might be the start of a new beginning.

• Posted

hi there, I wonder if you could give me some insight into life post weight loss surgery. There's every chance I will be having a gastric bypass this year. I understand about the liquid diet while healing takes place but I would like to know what life is like for you when you're well healed. can you eat anything, just less of it? do u crave food all the time but just know u can't have it or is the craving just gone? How do u manage a social gathering and what is the actual portion size you can have. ?

• Posted

you need to liminate any refined shugars and sweetners.

Shugar cravings stop after 1 week. unfortunately there is no easy way around it, if you have a sweet thooth.

you can gradualy do replancing them with honey, cause it keeps you satisfied for longer.

• Posted

Eat less, and eat less fatty foods, but more filling foods, eat meats, but in less quantity.

• Posted

I would like to say that use to feel the same way as you did about a year ago. I couldn't control my eating and I would always make up a reason for me to eat until I stumbled across this ad on Instagram. They were just talking about changing your thought process on food and noticed people were invested into what they do. I read a few things they've written on their site on Juice Wealthy about ways to go about change and I ended up buying one of their books about losing weight and I have to say that I have seen a change and I am more disciplined now than ever. ultimately the change you want yo see in you has to start with you and once you want to see that change you'll eventually see results.

• Posted

I understand. food is the highlight of my day. i try to just plan out one exciting meal and think of it all day. that way i do not eat candy and junk all day knowing that special meal is coming. i also buy miniature chocolates and limit myself to 3 a day until i get that special meal.

it's not working well for losing weight, but just staying the same. my next step is to cut down on portion size. instead of 3 chicken tendres, maybe just 2 or 2 regular size and 1 very small. That way you are still getting the good food and slowly cut down the calories. It worked in the past for me. I just have to start focusing again.

your post brought me back to reality and facing my problem. thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.