addicted to tramadol HELP ME

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi i am 23 and need advice I am scared to death something horrible is happening to me I got prescribed tramadol for bad pain in June 2014 I am still currently taking it and I think I am addicted I take up to 10 50mg tablets a day I waka up every morning with the intention of not taking as many but I always seem to do I just want some help in how I can come off these causing the least discumfort and withdraw as possible as I currently work have 2 children and no one knows of this except me! I am struggling of the best thing to do if anyone has any advice! Sorry if I sound like a total idiot 

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Lusaleelee , i was taking 1000mg Tramadol a day- i quit last september-i did it cold turkey-do not do this-you need to come down very slowly-drop one pill a week- i know you want to quit as soon as possible-but if you try and rush it you will only end up going back to your original dose-idealy you should seek medical advice- if you dont want to do this-then take it slow-let your body get used to each reduction before reducing more-the withdrawls will effect you mentally as well as physically- Tramadol has some anti-depressant qualities-so dont be suprised by this-recognise it for what it is-you may feel slightly depressed-but you will know the cause and it will pass-do it slow-i cant emphasis this enough- i know because i did it the wrong way - it was a living nightmare for 14 days- so again-do it slow and be aware of what your body and mind is telling you-be prepared to feel different and to be emotionaly effected as well- i wish you the best of luck- you can do this Lusaleelee - stay strong-good luck-keep reaching out and let us know how you are getting on -
    • Posted

Hi pmcg21 

How long were you taking that many for? That is a lot isn't it, I was taking 10 because I wanted that feeling, but I think now I'm not taking them to get that feeling I can half it and just take them so I'm not having bad withdrawals if that makes sense I didn't need to take 10 I just need to take them to get me through the day without the withdrawals getting the better of me! I have had 5 today and I feel ok! But I will see how I am tomorrow! Thank you for your support its very much appreciated! What withdrawals did you suffer if you dint mind me asking how did it make u feel apart from dreadful? Xx

• Posted

hi Lusaleelee, i was taking 1000mg Tramadol for over a year- the physical WD,s =shaking hands, jangling nerves, sweating, aches and pains, restless legs at night, unable to sleep mentally= deppressed - really angry and shrt tempered-really dark thoughts- i would not like to go through t again- go slow and hopefully avoid all of these- all the best- if you need any more information, just ask- stay strong Lusaleelee YOU CAN DO THIS
  • Posted

Hi lusaleelee!  I'm kinda in the same spot your in but not as severe.   I was taking 4 to 5 a day for about six months.   My doctor never told me the bad part about these pills and I never thought twice about taking them until the day I decided I wanted to stop taking them and went 24 hours without one.   I felt like i was slammed by a truck it was god awful I never felt so sick in my life.   I then researched the pill and realized I was withdrawing... I was so shocked I am a mother of two and never do or take any drugs and here I am withdrawing from a drug.   I was so ashamed.. I quickly started taking them again to feel normal.   Everyday since then I panic.. Looking stuff up online in how to not get sick and stop taking these.   I have tried everything.. So i am weening now I'm down to 2 1/2 .  I want to just stop but I can't be sick for a week with the kids.. So I'm hoping that weening helps me. I went to the doctor today and told her about it don't be ashamed to talk to a Dr they can help you!  She gave me zofran for sickness and I take melatonin at night which helps alot.   I'm weening fast because I have a trip in feFebruary and want to be tramadol free!  I don't suggest that for you though.   I can try to help you by giving you advice on things that might help me during my tapering and withdrawl.   Good luck it's hard but if I can do it you can.. Of course I haven't yet but I know I can and will! 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your input! It's a very scarey thing to think something that your doctor has given you could do this! I know it's my own fault for taking more thaN I should but stI'll no warning that the effect they have will not be as effective and that I would end up taking more and then this would happen, I'm glad I have people I can speak to! 

I do need to get off them asap because I am scared of what they are doing to me but I am also scared of the withdrawal,  I hope that soon enough we will both be free from this horrible thing! I don't have much advice for you because I don't know what I am doing myself but I wish you luck and I know we can both do this! Xxxx

• Posted

Slow taper works best & antidepressants help with the depression. I was told 5htp can help your brain work better coming off it but I dont think it helped me.

one thought, "we are only as sick as our secrets". Hiding it cant be helpful. And the fear & search for a easy solution kept me stuck for years.

• Posted

Coming off of Tramadol is extremely tough.  The withdrawals are horrible, and they last for weeks.  But it is possible to stop taking it for good.  I was dumb enough to do it twice.  The only way to come off of Tramadol is to slowly taper off a little at a time.  If you have withdrawals, coming off cold turkey feels nearly impossible.  One of the worst withdrawals is the extreme restlessness, making it nearly impossible to sleep for weeks.  Tramadol stays in your system for a long time.  You will need to taper off slowly until you are down to a half a pill a day.  Then you may need to take that 1/2 pill for over a week until you are albe to come off it 100% and not have bad withdrawal symtems.  Or you can see how long you can eventually go without taking a pill, and then only take a 1/2 pill when you feel the withdrawal systems coming back.  Again, tramadol stays in your system a long time.  This is not a quick process, but I promise, it's doable! 
  • Posted

I see that a reply byAmy33UK has been deleted, presumably (reading from the e-mail) because a web site was included in the comment. 

I feel I must say that I think it is grossly irresponsible to obtain Tramadol from any source other than via a proper prescription from a qualified doctor, and quite probably is also illegal in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.