addiction

Posted , 2 users are following.

I first started taking codeine based pain killers 10 years ago due to very bad tention headaches and over the years i have become addicted to them i currently take 16 paramol a day, 4 every 4 hours. Can anyone suggest how i can come off them.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've commented on here before telling people how to get off them. It's hard and it may not happen first time but I hope it does, u will get restless legs at night. U need to buy some magnesium for this, have 1 or 2 half hour before bed and it eases it so u can sleep. U will have stomach cramps, they will ease after 1 day so just get through the first day and you'll be ok. Imodium will help. Hot sweats and headache will ease in time, the cold and flu symptoms will ease after 3 days. It's more will power. I promise, if u can get past the first 3 or 4 days u will be so much happier. I did it, I was on them for years. It's a tough few days and it's not the end after the withdrawal symptoms end but it is a start. It's about bein strong when u are over the worst of it. I hope u find this helpful.
    • Posted

So did you just stop taking them without decreasing first. How long have you been clean
    • Posted

I just stopped, took me ages to get round to it. Always made an excuse not to stop then I just realised I had to do it. I've been off over a year now, it's terrible for the first few days but it gets better. Magnesium is what did it, when I tried to stop before I couldn't sleep due to restless legs but magnesium stops it dead. Bein able to sleep is key, I kept goin back because I was shattered and it made me feel a hundred times worse.
    • Posted

Well done you. I bet you feel amazing dont you. Well thats me going to get some magnesium then. Dont think i can stop all together due to my headaches and believe me thats not a cop out im in agony with them thats how i ended up on these tablets in the first place. And i know by taking them its only made my head worse. Its like a vicious circle. Im going to try 2 every 4 hours 2day then tomorrow 1 every 4 hours then take it from there. Can i ask why you started using them.
    • Posted

I've sent u a private message, tried to post on here but never showed up so sent one that way. If u haven't got it let me know, not sure if u can see this really. Think it's my phone playing up.
    • Posted

Definitely my phone, I never thought I'd be able to stop and it took me a while. I started after an operation to remove a blood clot, I just kept takin them when the pain had gone. I don't know why, they just got a hold on me. It's hard to stop but u can do it, I'm free to chat if u ever need help too.
    • Posted

Im def guna give it my best shot thanks for the advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.