Addiction to Dihydrocodiene !!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been addicted to Dihydrocodiene for around 12 months now, it initially began around 5 years ago when i started taking cocodamol 30/500 then around 2 years ago i discovered dihydrocodiene 30mg i would steal them from my nan. I then went to the doctor and without having to go into much detail with him he prescribe me 60mg dihydrocodiene obviously at the time i thought this was great !! Then 5 months ago i went to my doctor i told her about my problem with the painkillers she prescibed me Amitriptylene and 120mg Dihydrocodiene. Now im getting to the point where even the 120mg arent cutting it so i buy 100 30mg dihydrocodiene to help. Im 24yrs old with 2 little boys and im just not the person i was 3 years ago, i fall asleep in the afternoons im extremely irritable if i dont have a tablet !! Im upset and angry my dad is a heroin addict and im so mad with myself for going down the same path although i havent taken heroin i feel codiene is prettymuch the same kind of thing both being opiates !! i dont know what to do or where to start and i really need help i cant keep this up it is not fair on my boys to have mum who cantkeep her eyes open for more than 5 minutes in the afternoon. 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Get yourself a referral to a Substance Misuse centre. You can do this either yourself or via your GP. They will be able to assess you confidentially and discuss appropriate treatments with you.

I can reassure you - from a 40 year history of addicition to dihydrocodeine - that you need professional help and will be able to get your life back. I've started on Subutex. It helps in getting rid of the cravings and can be taken whilst you address all the issues in your life,

Please do this and dont repeat my mistakes of thinking i could do it all on my own. I wish you all the very best and hope you will make a full recovery.

written in and with love... xx

• Posted

Thankyou Andy, My first step is to book a doctors appointment tomorrow. I cant keep living like this. Good to hear of someone who is making his way out to the light xx
  • Posted

Please do,,. You wont regret it. Youve so much to live for and, with the correct care and treatment, you will soon get your life back on track. Speciaists can get you onto an appropriate dose of Subutex and, once stable, you will be able to reduce AT YOUR OWN PACE whilst getting on with you life. Look after yourself and i hope you get the support you need and deserve.

PS try and be constructive and positive and dont be destructive or negative. What is done is done and the past is the past. Guilt is a very negative emotion and wont help you into the future. Be good to yourself and the ones you love and all will work out for the best.

With love, respect and lots of positivity xx

• Posted

hello Cassandra , i am a certified nurse assistant . this i just want to say is that Andy said you excactly the best medication for cutting this addiction you have 

Bouprenorphine [subutex] is an opiod analgesic BUT it is a 3rd ggeneration med and you will be fine with the rest of your life plus you wont fell ANY withdrawl from

cocodamol ...but discuss it with yur GP and make together a scedule to cut off and the subutex because if you  dont then your addiction will be like heroin and worse ,so if you use it properly and for the time you gp will say 2 u everything is gonna be good and you will be a free of every med -thin smart 

• Posted

HI Cassandra, well done for taking stock and realising the need to deal with this matter. You might find this reading useful, from a charity who support GPs in treating addictions to medicines, the link takes you to a newsletter for GPs written on the subject. It includes a personal view from someone who came off codeine.  http://www.smmgp.org.uk/html/newsletters/net037.php
  • Posted

Hi Cassandra , I hope you've managed to get yourself a GP appointment. Well done for admitting you've got a problem and taking steps to dealing with it.I've been clean now for over 2 years but had a 15 year battle with Dihydrocodeine ( by the end I was on anything from 40 - 60  x30 mg tablets a day and suplimenting this with Heroin and every kind of Benzo you could think of.I won't go into the details of how I was able to obtain all these meds but it certainly wasn't legal. I eneded up losing my job, house , friends and alot of my self respect. However my family stuck by me and when I decided to give up the last time ( I did have numerous failed attempts ) I went in all guns blazing ! I'm not saying it's easy because it's not and you're going to need help along the way but I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done.One of my regrets is leaving it as long as I did..Substance misuse centres are great - the one I went to really saved my sanity and my life. Don't worry if you don't want to do the group thing ! You don't have to if you don't want to , they'll talk to you confidentially and work out what's best for you. I really hope you're doing well and if you want to drop me or anyone else a line to let us know how you're getting on then please do. Take care x
  • Posted

Well it's been a while since my first post, I went to my doctor and she prescribed me 30mg tablets to be able to cut down gradually myself !! Today is the first day I have gone without taking a tablet, I'm a little on edge and have got my mam to take the tablets away as I feel they are just there torchering me to take one or half a dozen but I'm determined this time feels different I feel like I can really overcome this !! Thank you for everyone's advice and well wishes it's the first day but I'm hoping I've seen the back of dihydrocodiene for good. My only fear now is that I'll be living with this constant fight !! X
  • Posted

Hi Cassandra you've done very well taking responsiblity for cutting down and achieving what you have done so far. Don't worry about the constant struggle, just focus on each day as it comes. Good luck you're doing fine. 
  • Posted

I meant to write "constant struggle" - because you don't even know that it will happen!
  • Posted

Day 3 of having no tablets !!! Safe to say this is not nice I'm having sweats and shivers, had bad tummy ache for most of the day, crying at the drop of a hat. Have two little boys to focus on but it's hard work dealing with this a 2yr old and a 4yr old my mum is being a great help but she is kind of no nonsense up and at em person !! All I want to do is climb into bed !! I've heard days 4-5 are the worst so I'm preparing myself but I can't imagine much worse than this !! God knows what a heroin addict goes through !!
    • Posted

Hi Cassandra

Just seen your post and I weanted to add my support and prayers for your struggle.  I was addicted to 30/500 co-codamol but got off it cold turkey, it was horrendous for the firtdst couple of weeks but after that the withdrawal symp[toms slowly lessened.  I think it was one of the best and bravest things I ever di and if you can kick the di-hydrocodeine you will feel the same.

Let me know how you are getting on

Love

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.