adding fiber

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have been low residue for 6 months because every time I add fiber back I get pain. Does anyone have a plan of how many grams of fiber you do for so many days and then how many grams for so many days until you get back up to 30g a day? I know you go slow but no one ever told me how to do it and I am making myself sick.

Thanks,

Julie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had my sigmoid colon removed for diverticulitis. It didn’t matter how much fiber I had or what I ate or how I ate I continued to hurt. I don’t know exactly what your condition is but I know how limiting and annoying it can be. I was not a fan of getting it removed but it may be an option to look into if that is what you have.
  • Posted

I don’t know how much because everyone is different.  I know though that if I eat too much I get pain, bloating and discomfort.  Eat a little bit but never big bowls of fiber cereal.  Check online. There are lists of fiber foods which I am sure you can get online.  They will be listed as soluble or insoluble foods.  That list will help you greatly.
  • Posted

Hi jo I use fybogel once a day and that helps me, however diverticulitis is a strange thing, what works for some doesn't always work for others...its trial and error I'm afraid.

Not sure if you have this but I still have pain no matter what I eat, but I do avid anything with pips, beans, peas, anthing high caffeine and high fat contents, hope this helps

• Posted

I don't think I explained myself very well. I am having trouble incorperating foods with fiber in them. So do you add 5 grams of fiber foods everyday for a week and then the next week add five grams more? Or is it 5 grams per day for 10 days then 10 grams? I have no idea. I tend to go up too fast and that gives me all sorts of gi issues, some quite painful.

• Posted

I guess you can see that everyone’s different.  Fiber in spoonfuls would be better for you since you’re trying to do exact measurements and since everyone’s different you’ll have to go through your own trial and error

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.