Adding hydrocortisone to prednisone dosage

Posted , 10 users are following.

My rheumatologist (Mayo clinic trained) wants me to add 10 mg of hydrocortisone (which I believe is equal to about 2.5 mg of prednisone) to my daily dose of prednisone.  I am still to taper the prednisone. 

To me, that means that if I am taking 13 mg. of prednisone, then adding the hydrocortisone increases me to a dose of at least 15 mg. of corticosteroids.

She said this is the more natural version of cortisone and that it has fewer side effects.  I am hesitant to add the hydrocortisone to my 13 mg.  It makes no sense to me.  It has the same side effects listed as the prednisone does.  I have asked her why, and she only says that it works differently and so I should not worry about it. That answer is not acceptable to me.  Does anyone have any information on adding hydrocortisone to prednisone in treating PMR?  I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else. 

By the way, since I have so many side effects from the prednisone, I surely don't want to take another medication that has the exact same side effects listed.  I am hoping that as I taper down the side effects will lesson.  I hope I have explained this issue correctly so that it is not too hard to understand. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't see the point either. There are guidelines that suggest using hydrocortisone in the lower stages of the reduction because it is felt that using it rather than pred makes it easier for your adrenal system to get back into working properly. It is, however, something I have not yet come across. One lady in New Zealand uses hydrocortisone alone for her probable PMR/GCA diagnosis because she can't take pred but seems to be OK on hydrocortisone.

I found this on a "doctors reply" site, it's a bit complicated:

"Question: What are the differences between hydrocortisone, cortisone acetate, prednisone, and dexamethasone? Are there any guidelines as to when one is used versus another? 

Answer: These compounds are all adrenal steroid analogs; specifically, they are called glucocorticoids. Glucocorticoids affect carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism, bone metabolism, and immune and inflammatory functions. In contrast, the mineralocorticoid aldosterone, also secreted by the adrenal, regulates sodium and potassium metabolism and fluid balance. The glucocorticoid that is produced by the body is cortisol, also known as hydrocortisone. Cortisone acetate is the glucocorticoid cortisone with an ester group attached that makes it soluble in water. Cortisone is biologically inactive and is rapidly converted to cortisol by the liver so that it can exert its effects. Hydrocortisone and cortisone acetate are both short-acting glucocorticoids. They are given once daily, in the early morning, to patients who are recovering from Cushing’s syndrome or are being tapered off pharmacological dosages of glucocorticoids to allow their hypothalamic -pituitary-adrenal axis to recover. These are the only circumstances in which I prescribe hydrocortisone, and I do not use cortisone acetate.

Prednisone and dexamethasone are also synthetic glucocorticoids. Prednisone is 4 to 5 times more potent than hydrocortisone and has a longer duration of action, perhaps 12 hours or more. Dexamethasone is 40 to 50 times more potent than hydrocortisone and even longer-acting, 18 to 24 hours. Both of these glucocorticoids are given when a prolonged action is desired. This includes replacing cortisol in patients with permanent adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease) or suppressing ACTH secretion in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. In such cases, the medication is taken at bedtime, thus the patient awakens with appropriate levels of steroid. Very rarely, these medications cause insomnia if taken at night. These longer acting glucocorticoids are also used to suppress inflammation or immune rejection, and both are less expensive than hydrocortisone.

If a patient with permanent adrenal insufficiency is doing well on hydrocortisone replacement, usually split between two or three doses, the largest taken in the morning, I usually do not change the medication. However, if the patient is not doing well, I will change the medication to dexamethasone or prednisone. Some of my patients have reported remarkable improvements in their quality of life on these longer acting medications. The longer acting glucocorticoids have been reported to have greater catabolic activity on bone, but there is no evidence that they act differently than cortisol. Rather, it is probably because they are used in inappropriately high dosage.

The usual replacement dosages of these glucocorticoids are : hydrocortisone about 25 mg/day, cortisone acetate about 37.5 mg/day, prednisone about 5 mg/day, and dexamethasone about 0.5 mg/day. Glucocorticoid replacement in any patient must be carefully monitored and individualized."

My question would be what does she expect to gain from a single dose of a short-acting corticosteroid in addition to a longer acting one.

• Posted

Eileen, Thank you for this detailed answer regarding the wisdom of adding hydrocortisone to my prednisone dosage.  I don't know why she wants to do this. She seems not to want to answer my questions regarding her reasoning.  As I said this is not acceptable to me. 

The information you sent me is very helpful. I do not think I will be taking the hydrocortisone at this time.  If I continue to go to her as my rheumatologist, I will try to pin her down on her reasoning.  However, I am thinking seriously of finding a new rheumy.  Wish me luck. Thanks again.

• Edited

There is one condition where I take hydrocortisone plus prednisone. I have permanent adrenal insufficiency and have been taking 20 mg per day hydrocortisone for years. It is fast acting but does not last very long. I took it 3 times a day, 10mg in the morning, 7.5mg at noon and 2.5mg early evening. Last year because I missed doses sometimes, I was switched to prednisone, 5 mg once per day first thing in the morning. It is slower acting and lasts all day. Sometimes when I sleep in, I take it a little later in the morning and then noticed I don't feel good until it kicks in. I now take 5mg of hydrocortisone plus 4 mg of prednisone, both first thing in the morning. The hydrocortisone acts faster, and the prednisone lasts all day. The total adds up to the same as I was taking before.

• Posted

I see you are located in the USA, a small group of people, all located in the states are all now emailing each other and have some plans in hand.

If you want to be in contact with the, send a pm with your name and email address and I will forward the information to them and their information to you.   Has to be by a PM, we cannot put links on this site.

By the way, since I have so many side effects from the prednisone, I surely don't want to take another medication that has the exact same side effects listed. 

I smiled, this is exactly the reason why I refused anything except pred, no steroid sparing agents  - all offered and politely turned down.  I reasoned that with all the side effects of pred, my body had enough to cope with, without adding more.  I also said, 'Will it cure', knowing full well it would not as there is no cure. 

I do not recommend this practice, it is always a very personal decision and the patient must decided for themselves in conjuction with their medics.    My medics sharp gave up.

• Posted

I couldn't agree more lodger.  Why add the potential for more side effects with more drugs?  Thank you for your input and your opinion.  I have decided to not add the hydrocortisone at this time and to possibly change rheumatologists because I think our communication should be less one-sided.  She reminds me of the old school doctors who were not to be questioned.

Also, i am already a memeber of the PMR-USA group, but thank you for mentioning it .  Perhaps others may see it and want to join in.  Right now it is the closest thing that we have in the USA to a support group and I am enjoying sharing with the people who are here in the states.  I am grateful to you UK folk who have facilitated a way for us to gather together to share our victories and/or set backs (ugh).  I appreciate the information from both sides of the pond!

• Posted

I find it very strange that here and there a Rhuemy or GP will strike out with their own different plan of attack against a well known disease as if all the other practisioners have been wasting their time and don't know the real breakdown of chemicals and dosage. I'm sure there is plenty left to be done in this field, but in the meantime it is wiser to use what is working with the least problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.