adding mirtazapine to venlefaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello ,

I've been on venlefaxine for 8 months, and am taking 337.5mg per day. I'm much better than I was at the start, however, it was only going up to 337.5mg, that stopped me worrying so much with obtrusive thoughts. I get by, but find it hard to be happy and motivated, and still get tense at times.

I'm thinking about reducing ven, and adding up to 15mg of mirtazapine, for the sedative effect (i wake up a few times during the night), and the synergetic benefit, and I was hoping it would be easier for me to enjoy things more and be happier.

Anyone that has done this, please can you let me know whether it made you more relaxed, and easier to be happy? Also, did it help with concentration. I set out with good intentions, but am easily distracted.

I get short periods of being relaxed and happy, but they are few and far between.

Any comments would be appreciated, for this combination.

Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Just wondering if anyone knows if after 5weeks titrating up ftom 37.5 to 118.5 is it normal to feel no better

• Posted

each time you increase, its a bit like starting over, in that it brings on an initial increase in anxiety, which takes a couple of weeks to get over. you can appreciate this also contributes to delaying improvements.

• Posted

hello, hijacking my post, lol.

yes, its completely normal not to experience any improvements on ven. i went from 37.5mg to 150mg, and didnt feel anything for the first 10 weeks. i did have a sense it might work, thats all i felt. others around me did notice improvements a few weeks before i felt them. ven is a second tier anti depressant, so people taking it, tend to be in a worse position to start with, which is probably why it takes longer to work. majority of people respond to tier 1 anti depressants, and respond more quickly, but they tend to not be in as bad a condition.

• Posted

I dont know if this will be of any help but i moved from ecitalopram and mirtazapine to venlafaxine 150 mg and amitriptyline 10 mg which i have at night when necessary to help me sleep. It works well for me. The move to this combination was because i was gaining alot of weight taking mirtazapine. If I wanted I can increase the amount of amitriptyline but find 10 mg enough.

• Posted

Hi nigel all I can help you with is the lower the dose of mitrazapine the more sedative it is. I've not tried it with the venlafaxine but I did use it on it's own. It did help but I put on a lot of weight. But its maybe worth a try.

• Posted

thanks. glad your combo works. they seem to be used a lot more now.

• Posted

thanks karen. im not too worried about weight gain, its hard on ven for appetite, but i can control it. switched to a completely healthy diet a year ago. i had to, otherwise id pile the weight on. really hard. been so long since ive eaten what i wanted, have got used to it. my pysc said i have the ability to get an eating disorder, lol. wouldnt say that, i eat too much healthy stuff. ven with a small dose of mirt is supposed to be the best combo there is. pysc said no not yet, but gp said he would do it.

• Posted

NIGEL, i take 15mg each night and sleep through the night without waking up,

• Posted

the mirt dose is perfect for you. also the amytryptolene, as thats sedative as well. those 2 are perfect for you. you shouldnt touch either of those. you shouldnt increase mirt above 15mg, as sedative effect works up to 15mg, possibly 22.5. anything above 22.5mg loses sedation. its whether those 2 can provide enough sedation for ven for 3 months, while you settle down on them.

• Posted

knowing how you react to meds, 75mg seems a bit high so soon. its not a high dose on its own, but it is with the other 2 added.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.