Adding Wellbutrin to Prozac feeling worse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everybody.

I had a long story with depression and anxiety, my dad had a very bad depression for more than 10 years, he tried many medications without a good control but he had a lot of dependency to clonazepam and he killed himself with an overdose of clonazepam and I don't know what else. By that time I was feeling very depressed (like hell on earth) but I refused to take any antidepressant because of the bad experience I had with my dad. In the last 20 years I've been up and down, but no any single day I have wake up and think that the life is beatiful, some days are better than other days, but I knd of feel that the world as an hostile place where I'm surviving.

Even though now I have a good job and a family, but recently I'm going through a possibly divorce and I felt really bad so I went to the Psychiatrist and he prescribed Prozac for me. I started With 10mg and after 2 months I ended up with 40mg. With the prozac I was felling very bad at the beggining but after like 6 weeks I started to feel better like I never did in a long long time. But I still was felling that I needed a little push and more energy becasue I was so tired all the time. So my doctor add 150mg of Wellbutrin XL. The first three days were not so bad, then I started to feel a little anxious, but now that I have 9 days I feel very very depressed, I don't even feel the bennefits of Prozac. My doctor is out of town but he told me 2 days ago that hold for few days more. 

I really don't know what to do, do you think this is normal? Should I feel more depressed in the early days even I'm taking prozac? or is this a signal that I have to quit it?

Just a comment, with the Prozac I really felt that was kicking it after like 6 weeks, but in the middle some moments were good even better thougths. But now with both, I don't have an good feelings and I feel very hopeless.

Thanks a lot

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dunno why your Doctor added the second drug of Prozac was working well. These drugs are effective for the most part, but they are not a panacea. They will take the 'edge' off if you are feeling deeply depressed due to Serotonin deficiency, but they will not make a deeply depressed person feel bubbly all the time.

I have been on Paxil for over 25 years, since I was diagnosed with deep depression at 38. I can safely say Paxil made me feel well enough where it probably saved my life. I had to up the dosage from the original 20 mg/day to 30 mg/day when my body became acclimated to the drug and it lost it's effectiveness.

But, you should not attack depression with just drug therapy alone, you need counselling, exercise, good diet, etc.. Drugs alone will not resolve all your issues.

See your doctor when he comes back and get your medicine adjusted to just Prozac again. Then follow-up on all the other things I mentioned. Fighting depression is an all-front battle, taking a pill every day alone will not make you feel your best. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your answer Phil. I was feeling "ok" but I kind of needed an energy/motivation boost because I was so tired during the day thats why my doctor prescribed the wellbutrin. I try to do everything you say, excerisce, counselling, etc.. anything to feel better. 

Thanks

• Posted

Good man, Mark. Attack depression and anxiety on all fronts. The medication is just another tool you can use. You will feel better, I promise you!
  • Posted

I dont think anyone apart from a pysc can advise you to quit the wellbutrin. Its common to feel worse after starting an anti depressant or increasing a dose, so would think introduction of another one would do the same. Can understand reason behind adding wellbutrin. Prozac helps seratonin , wellbutrin helps norepinephrine and dopamine. Think you have to wait for your pyscs advice. Quitting wellbutrin, isnt going to immediately return you to your pre wellbutrin state of mind, that would take some time, as the chemicals in your brain have been changed.
    • Posted

The fact that you were feeling better and tired on prozac, suggested it was working for you. Tiredness may well have improved, given more time, as it can take up to 12 weeks for a good recovery, even longer. Then again, your pysc saw something that warranted his decision to make the addition. No easy or immediate answer, you need to wait to speak with your pysc before doing anything different. You shouldnt make a decision by yourself, as the worry will make you worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.