Additional Meds + Mirtazapine for sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was given Clonazepam to take on top off Mirtazapine for sleep. I'm coming off of the Clonazepam and I'm currently down to .5 mg and hope to get off totally soon because I'm like a zombie on both of them together..

I was wondering if anyone else had to take anything else besides Mirtazapine to help with there insomnia or am I just over doing it by using additional medications on top of Mirtazapine? If you do take additional please let me know and how it interacts for you with Mirtazapine, thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rob,

On mirtazapine and effexor but down to 0.75mg of mirtazapine and still getting sleep. I believe it's due to slow tapering and also being on effexor is helping to balance serotonins. People with sleep issues often have serotonin imbalance hence ADs tend to help longterm.

Clonazepam is an anti-anxiety med but is often prescribed as an off label sleeping pill. Not very wise for doctors to do this in my opinion as benzos are notorious for being physically addictive.

• Posted

Cheryl,

Thanks for the reply and I didn't know you could get Mirtazapine at that low a dose. The Clonazepam was definitely a bad decision..

Felt flat and like I've had the flu for over a month and I'm still in the process of getting off the Clonazepam. Thinking of seriously getting off all the drugs all together as the effects on my physical health are getting me really frustrated and it's not worth it for some extra sleep at night. I know it will take time to ween down but that is definitely my goal for 2017.

• Posted

The mirtazapine doesn't come that low. I've had to use a jewelry scale to weigh doses and help wirh all my past and current taperings. Look up Gemini jewelry scale on amazon.

Sleep is important as it helps us heal and function. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's always trail and error to find the right med and doses.

Good luck in 2017!

• Posted

I look into that if/when I get to that point and I'll try not to beat myself up over everything but it's hard when I feel so bad and I wonder wth did I do to myself..

Best of luck to you in 2017 and thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.