Adenuric

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear All, I've read several discussions here and find nothing about Adenuric (Febuxostat). This uricodepresant is well known in Europe (Greece, Italy, Germany). Why do you take allopurinol which is more older gout treatment? May be Adenuric is restricted to use in UK?

Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Febuxostat is available in the UK, but Allopurinol is the first go to medication for most GP's as they generally know very little about Gout

You are most likely to get Febuxostat prescribed if you go to see a Rheumatologist. I tried it but was allergic, so eventually had to take Benzbromarone

Thanks

• Posted

Thank you for the first reply, the question wasn't how to get Adenuric prescribed, I could easily bought it without any prescription in Greece and in Italy.

Did you try 120 or 80mg to get allergic? As far as I know Benz helps better for those, who has kidney problems (under excreters).  I also read somewhere that Benzbromarone is prohibited in USA. That why I tried to find something else though Bens didn't harm me. I used it for a month and excretion of urates has increased 1,5 times up to 0,4g per 24H.

BR

BR

• Posted

Hi

My first port of call would be a GP but they are likely to prescibe Allopurinol unless you express a desire to only have Febuxostat and provide a reasonable argument as to why.

If that fails get referred to a Rheumatologist

Of course I am assuming you are now living in the UK and not Greece or Italy.

Thanks

• Posted

Dear ChrisW, I've never been in UK and it's interesting for me how the people are fighting the gout there.

You described how to get adenuric and Rustygesko told me why allopurinol is more popular in UK. Now it's cristal clear for me.

Thank you again!

BR

• Posted

The most important reason is that National Insttute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) assessed that Febuxostat is a second line treatment for those that cannot tolerate Allopurinol. Doctors will follow the advice of NICE, as they are the experts, who are not only respected in the UK, but are followed in many other countries.

Allopurinol has been around for almost 60 years. It has serious side effects (including death) for those of Han, Thai or Korean deceont, but for most caucasians it is well tolerated. It is very well understood, and it works.  From my reading Febuxostat 40 is no better than allopurinol at reducing ureate levels; Febuxostat 80 is better than 300 mg of allopurinol, but alloupurinol can be increased to 800 mg safey.

The other big advantage is cost. 1 month supply of allopurinol costs about £1.50 (€2) whereas Febuxostat costs about £60 (say €50).  

Anothe factor where Febuxostat would be used is simply that the reps of the drugs companies "encourage" doctors to prescribe expensive medicinces. For their prescribing the doctor will be rewarded. In the UK that is much more difficult because of NICE (but happned a lot before NICE).

• Posted

Thanks! Full answer.

About caucasians  -  who continues to live in Caucasus can eat whatever they want (lamb, vine, etc.) without any gout problems. % of gout sufferers is very low there. But as soon as they move far away from their motherland, many of them faced gout. I've seen statistic figures of % caucasians with gout in Caucasus (very few) and % caucasians in total Russia (much more).

BR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.