Adhesions abdominal wall/appendix

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, anybody that can help here then great..!

I had a laparoscopy over 6 weeks ago due to all the pain I was getting mainly on my right side loin area. This had been going on since January this year and started out as severe right sided stabbing pain and a rash that also appeared right side above the hip, with urine frequency and burning.

To cut a long story short it has been going on some time now and I've had three hospital admissions due to the pain.

Anyway.. the LAP was done just over 6 wks back so they could get in and have a look what the issue was. He found adhesions on my right side abdominal wall and over my appendix, he called them grade 4 adhesions??  He dealt with them, but all the pain is back, the awful pulling and tugging feeling and my tummy is swollen with gas/constipation. I feel like my whole bowel on the right side is in a straightjacket.. if this makes sense??

Never have they given me an actual answer as to why this has happened to me, they hint at a possible infection or inflammation, possibly the appendix, but he said the appendix looked OK so left it in there !  

I also have ovarian cysts (blood filled) which keep cropping up mainly on my right ovary with severe pain in the pelvis and the whole leading up to a period from ovulation and so on... is a nightmare now, all since January this year when I became ill.  I also have some fibroids in the uterus which they are saying will NOT be causing  me the pain.

So just a recap -

I'm not dealing with right sided pain and pulling and I'm guessing the adhesions are back.. with severe bloating and pain, gas  etc.

General back pain and pelvic pain, ovary is enlarged I was told on last scan and currently has a cyst in it.

Fibroids.. but told they are not an issue??

Terrible periods now, the most recent lasting only 2 days with awful pain and then almost dark brown clots (balls) coming out of me...sorry yuk !!

THE GYNE WHO DID THE LAP SAID HE CAN FIND NO EVIDENCE OF ENDOMETRIOSIS.  I'm not convinced here. Being investigated further but its all a waiting game, whilst I'm in continual pain.

HELP.. Anybody any tips here or advice on this at all ??

Caroline

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have a very complex history that relates to you apart from I had endometriosis and on leaving my ovaries in situ I had another cyst that was ovarian carcinoma. I am now pursuing what is mimicking appendicitis but is more likely to be that it's attached with adhesions. My recommend gynaecologist to see is Dr Andy Pickersgill at south Manchester hospital. He is by far the best and will sort you out if you haven't been already. Xx

• Posted

Hi everyone - I've been on reading these forums again - since my adhesion pain returned. In 2014 (February) I did a yoga pose and ended up with severe and then chronic pain in my lower right abdomoninal region. After 3 months of tests and nothing significant, they decided to do an exploratory lap surgery. They found that I had adhesions (from two previous c-sections) wrapped around my appendix, which was infected but only slightly inflamed (which is why they didn't really notice it in the earlier CT scans). Long story short, I ended up getting an appendectomy in June, and later a hysterectomy in December. Instead of taking it easy after each surgery, I went gung-ho like a week after, walking all over the place, etc. I really wasn't good at listening to my body and taking it easy. My recovery was REALLY slow, let me stress REALLY and SLOW. It took me 1 year before I didn't have pain when sleeping at night and 2 years before the pain was completely gone. What did it, is a I learned to expect less and do less day-to-day. I started out walking a block each day, then two blocks, etc. over the course of several weeks. Once I could deal with that, I started to stretch my abdominal area and groin area very slightly, and slowly increased that from month-to-month over the year. I continued to do that for 2 years. Everything was good after 2 years. No more pain. I was great for about 18 months and then, because I thought I was invincible again, I decided to ride my bike 65 miles in the course of 2 days. The first 40 miles were fine - but the last 20 brought all the pain back again. So, here I am, 4 weeks after, starting over again with the slow recovery. These adhesions really take a toll on you, but I found that if I am consistent and rest, they can get better. I now have pain all day every day - but not at night when I sleep. The pain is a pinching tight pain in my appendix area (even though there is no appendix there) and sometimes to the right of my navel. It radiates down my leg on bad days and around my back on very bad days). I put ice on it - and that helps. And, now, after 4 weeks, I'm putting some heat on it. I had an ultrasound for a hernia but they said that came back negative. I'm happy to answer any questions people might have, but I wanted to say that it can get better and go away. Rest, a good diet, starting out slowly, not over doing it, family support, getting out and doing activities that I can handle (sitting at concerts, working at my computer, crocheting, reading) have helped me get better and keep my sanity. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.