Adjusting to new dose of levothyroxine

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have also just had my thyroxine dose increased from 100 to 125 mcg following a TSH test result of 31. I have been on thyroxine for 16 years and on 100mcg for several years and always felt balanced until recently.

I always knew that it took a while before the new dose had a good effect, but I am quite surprised that after 10 days I am actually feeling worse i.e. more hypo symptoms than normal.

I was therefore quite relieved to read a post on here saying they had experienced worse symptoms before feeling better...

Reassurance would be lovely from anyone else as I plod on hoping to get back to my former self.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am to be suppressed due to the possible regeneration of thyroid which could also regenerate the cancer I too felt that in order to suppress since I no longer have a gland, the dose should be higher. For years this is how it was treated but recently they tell me it needs to go lower. I TRULY AM CONFUSED. RIGHT NOW I AM FEELING COLD MOST OG

F THE TIME and not quite up to par on the reduced dosage. My physician's assistant told me down is suppression.

• Posted

How long did it take you to feel better?I haven't been feeling good for a long time.Am now on 88 mcg.How long does it take to straighten out.

• Posted

hi i have just had my thyroxine tablet increased, i have been taking new dose now for 10 days,

its been increased from 100 to 150 im hoping that i might start to feel the difference soon

• Posted

Important points to note.

Don't eat within the prescribed period of time in the instructions.

I wait at least 30 minutes usually longer.

Always use the same brand whatever brand you use, ask you doctor to write it on your prescription. If this puzzles you, then Google bioequivalence and show your doctor.

Get a TSH level check after 6 weeks approximately then another 6 weeks.

These checks give you a good guide but how you feel is important. The checks reasonably confirm how you feel.

Personally I take 125 micrograms a day but this can build up after some months and I personally need to miss a day perhaps once a month to keep it good, but that's just "Me".

We are all different,,,, thank goodness:) 😃 but you get the general idea.

• Posted

Addendum

after first two TSH checks, 6 or 12 months may be ok, that's just me, your doc will advise for you of course.

• Posted

hi i have been on thyroxine for quite a while now, i was interested in your comment about making an appointment for another blood test, i was on 100 before and they never called me in for a repeat blood test ever, thanks for the tip about making another appointment re: the blood test, once ive taken this dose for a month i will make another appointment to see whats going on, and make sure its having the effect it needs to have ☺

• Posted

In 1974 after a ten year bout with poor health, i underwent a surgica partial removal of the left thyroid gland, with two cancerous nodules. 18 years later after a 5 year bout with poor health, I underwent a complete remova, again for a new cancer.. My dosages of throxine have been all over the map, as high as 175 to as low as 112. Something that has helped to level my dosage is 6 month blood checks and vitamin D. I am now on 0.125 and have been there for several years now. Never self medicate. Precision is important. Because the gland can regenerate, I am on a suppressed dosage. Listen to your doctor but be aware of your specific need. I remind my doctor of the suppressed dosage because tests come back showing NORMAL levels. Mine is above mormal. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Zlula

thanks for your response, it has helped, once ive been on this new dose for about 2 months i will request another blood test, the problem with my doctor is i never seem to see the same doctor twice, i am on Adcal which is calcium and i only recently found out that the medications should be taken about 4 hours apart, i think i might change my doctors,

once again thank you

• Posted

I failed to mention that in addition to thyroxin and vit D, I am required to take at least 2100 mg of essential calcium daily. I have found the chewable gummies or caramels work best for me.

Essential are regulating blood work to establish the maintenance dose of calcium and D as well as the thyroxine.

Good luck with your quest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.