Adrenal Ademoma & Cushings?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a appointment with a Endocrinologist this month.  I had a Incidental adrenal adenoma show up on a CT.  However, they say it is nothing to worry about.  I have been gaining a lot of weight, acne, muscle spasms and weakness, urinating a lot--Get up around 4 to 10 times a night, depression and the hump as people call it.  I noticed a lot of doctors blow this off.  What do I need to discuss with the Endocrinologist?  How long does it take to be diagnosed and is there anyone on here that has a doctor in Arkansas that takes this serious?  Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I know how it feels but I

Wouldnt accept the brush off

It can mean , they dont know what to do

I would book an appointment with a very good

Endocrinology program

Ucla, john hopkins, etc...

• Posted

Be sure to share all of your symptoms and request at least a cortisol level be done.  I was having many similar symptoms and had some abnormal thyroid labs so was referred to the endocrinologist.  The repeat thyroid labs were normal, I didn’t have a moon face and the other typical physical symptoms were there but not pronounced so he pretty much blew me off until my cortisol level came back elevated. With that he ordered the appropriate tests and made the definitive diagnosis of Cushings Disease.  I’m now almost 2 months post op from a trans sphenoidal pituitary adenoma resection.  I still have the leg weakness and lack of stamina but my blood pressure is pretty much normal now off meds and I’m sleeping a lot better and only having to get up to the bathroom about twice.  The neck fat pads, the back jump & the big abdomen are slowly starting to reverse and my face is a whole lot thinner.

• Posted

Opal...having the buffalo

hump is one of the major identifying characteristics

of Cushing's. The other two are a "moonie" face and an excessive amount of weight gain..i went from 105 lbs to 276 lbs in 6 months...so 175 lb weigh gain rapidly. With Cushings there are many symptoms and all of us..the patients..none of us have all of the same symptoms..mood swings, acne, anger outbursts, the wgt gain and moonie face i had...my period stopped at age 37..i never had another one, i also never had the usual menopause symptoms either. I'm 66 now, i was 31 when i started getting sick..urinating a lot sounds like diabetes..testing for Cushing's is cortisol blood test, cortisol saliva tests, 24 or 48 hour urine specimen..to diagnosis if needed those 3 tests are usual tests. If you have any more questions, please ask us.

• Posted

Opal , there will be a doctor who takes you seriously

Probably as suggested, you could check your cortisol

To see if your adrenal tumor is causing your cortisol

To be low or elevated

• Posted

Thank you all so much for the advice.  One more question has any of you ever felt like you was going crazy over the years?---Emotionally?  I am a pretty sane person, but there are times I feel like a nervous wreak...
    • Posted

Hi I would agree with all the excellent advice you have been given.  I always find it easier to write down every symptom I have had, make sure that you also tell them anything that you might regard as a personal problem e.g excessive sweating or excessive hairiness, these last 2 symptoms were what finally got me a diagnosis.  As to thinking you are going mad, don't worry we all felt like that.  Diagnosis is a hard road I know but hang on in there and you will soon be on the road to recovery.  Let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.