Adrenal adenoma surprise and suspected cushing's

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone.  I have a question.  Was anybody taking medicine before surgery to block cortisol from affecting you? If yes, what medicine? I'm asking because I was in process of changing insurance when found  out about adenoma last week and pretty sure it will take some time for them to schedule the operation.  

I've read there are drugs to block cortisol.  Thank you.  And  be healthy 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello! 

I am currently taking metyrapone 500mg 3 times a day prior to my surgery which I have on the 4th March, they have only recently started giving me this within the last month to try and reduce my cortisol levels before surgery. I started on 250mg 3 times a day initially but notice no change. So when I went for my check up with my consultant he increased it to 500mg 3 times per day. 

I know there are other types of medication that can try and reduced cortisol levels but this is the one I am currently on. You have to take them with food or a meal as if not you will feel very sick, although the side effects are sickness and I get dizzy spells with them also. I'm not sure whether the medication is working or not yet I have to take in another 24 hour urine sample on Thursday and a blood test so shall let you know the outcome! 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you , I'm going to see endocrinologist tomorrow.  I want to ask for med. to keep me feel better till surgery. I'm falling apart.  Please let me know how you feel after surgery.  And wish you good health with all my heart.

• Posted

They may not give you any medication until they have finished doing all of the tests as it can interfere with results.

Ive only been on my medication for just under a month and thats simply because i had my surgery date. Mine is for a pit tumor so im not sure if any different with adrenal!

Let us know what they say!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.