Adrenal crisis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with addison disease 8 years ago whe I was 28. I had a bad hip pain 2 nights ago and I wasn't feeling great so I took an extra 20mg of cortef (hydrocortisone) by tablet.

About two hours after I surprisingly went in an adrenal crisis. I had a hard time breathing and thought I was dying then I passed out for over 5 minutes with some kind of seizure. My wife called 911 and gave me the injection of hydrocortisone. When I woke up I had lost my vision in my left eye for about 10 minutes.

I went to the hospital where they gave me hydrocortisone

intravenously and did some blood work then I was feeling ok so I came back home. My hip area was also back to normal.

My question is why did I go in crisis? It was my second major crisis but my first one was due to stomach flu. I am worry that I might now have crisis randomly.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hospital check you for other stuff like Lyme's disease.

• Posted

No they didn't. They checked basic stuff like electrolytes, heart, blood pressure but this is it.

Once they ruled out basic stuff and saw I was doing better they discharged me and told me to see my endocrinologist. I am sure she will simply say she that doesn't know.

I do have unexplained leg pain and fatigue for the last 5 years.

• Posted

This is a bit off left field, but could I suggest you go for a routine eye-test and make sure you get a "field test" to check your peripheral vision. Just in case you have secondary rather than primary Addison's.

• Posted

Hi Roddy, I did have an eye exam this and it's all normal. Thank you.

• Posted

I hadn’t realised that secondary Addison’s could affect your eyesight. I wonder where I could find out more information about this. 
    • Posted

you can look up

secondary adrenal insuficiency

which is what you are talking about

it is different from Addison's

-hope this helps

• Posted

It sounds like the flu gave you this adrenal crisis

So although it can happen randomly, the flu can also cause adrenal crisis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.