Adrenal crisis without cause?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have Addison Disease for over 8 years now. I had two crisis due to vomiting 2 and 3 years ago, which is understandable.

But in the last year I had 3 crisis without cause. Just before the crisis I had severe lower back pain and leg pain every time. Then every time I had a hard time breathing to start with, then I went into seizure or I passed out for several minutes then I woke up feeling horrible (had to stay lying on the floor, hard time to breathe) and temporary lost of vision in my left eye for about 10 minutes. Everytime EMS had to be called and I spent several hours at the ER.

all Doctors at the ER said it was an adrenal crisis. My endocrinologist doesn't think so. But everytime as soon as I got an IV of hydrocortisone my blood pressure started to going back up to normal. I had an MRI of my brain and everything was normal.

I am just wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue? It is very stressful because I am always worry to get a crisis where ever I am and there is not much I can do to prevent it. Plus I feel horrible for weeks after a crisis. So far I got lucky I had people with me to call 911 but if I am by myself at some point I don't think I could call for help. Plus I now live by myself. Any help would be apppreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have never heard of this one. I certainly hope that it is very rare!

The only suggestion I can make is that, as soon as you see the first symptoms, give yourself your 100mg injection of HC. If it doesn't work, you won't be any worse off and it may prevent it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.