Adrenal Insufficiency due to long term use of Prednisolone

Posted , 14 users are following.

I require some advise please.

I have had PMR for approximately 9 years now and have not been able to reduce Pred. lower than 7mg for the last 7 years (up and down like a yoyo). A few months ago my Consultant suggested that I have a Synatchen test to see if my Adrenal Glands were working. Results next day stated that they were not and that I would have to stay on Pred. for the rest of my life, I am 69 years and hoping for many more years. I will be seeing my Consultant on Monday and am wondering if any of you out there have the same problem, how you have dealt with it and is there anything I should be asking my Consultant that I don't know about. I have looked in detail on line and have a list but your experience would be very helpful. Thanks in advance Quizgirl x

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All

I had my appointment with GP and I asked for a referral to see rhume, I thought finally ! I told her my concerns as I have been getting a lot of headaches again, also a sharp pain in my left temple or discomfort and pain or discomfort in the base of my head, this has depended on the grams of pred. I am taking . She also gave me a referral to see an opthomologist as I keep getting blurry vision.

My Dr then told me to keep decreasing my Pred. down to nothing as she wants the Rhume. to see me fresh ( her words) meaning in pain .

I have only just gone from 25mg to 10 mg in only 9 days. now I HAVE TO GO TO ZERO.

I'm feeling really confused again.

• Posted

I'm not surprised - and I'm rather concerned as you are displaying symptoms of GCA which respond to pred (Temple pain, blurry vision, occipital headache and PMR). There is no justification in delaying giving pred if GCA is even suspected as the risk of visual problems is too high.

How soon can you see the opthalmologist or rheumy? Until you have seen one or other I would be very reticent about the reduction to zero. In the UK you would be able to get an eye exam almost on demand at an optometrist which would see if the optic nerve is already affected but even that is not ideal.

GCA should be regarded as a medical emergency - its effect on the optic nerve is the same as having a stroke or heart attack. The low dose of pred you are on is not enough to protect your sight - so please do try to find one of the doctors immediately. If you explain the symptoms and concern they should react.

• Posted

I see the opthalmologist tomorrow afternoon, which I am very happy about.

GCA is what I am very worried about.

I have been doing a lot of research and I have had heaps of good advice from the forum. When I told her my concerns, she said she didn't think I had GCA , and the impression I got from her was she was sending me to rheumy to prove me wrong.

I didn't say to her I had it, only that I was concerned as I felt I had a few of the symptoms and I would like it checked.

I will let you know tomorrow what happens.

• Posted

So this is your GP/PCP? Hum...

I'm VERY pleased you are seeing someone else.

• Posted

Ohhh, No!!.....this seems VERY quick to me! I've had a similar experience to your's...headaches/pain in temple/blurred and double vision. my Rheumy also referred me to a Neuro-ophthalmologist. Am now in process of setting appt for surgery for cateract removal.

I guess my point to you is I'm not sure you SHOULD be off prednisone for another exam! I'd question that, if I were you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.