Adrenaline rush as I fall asleep, been happening for 8 years now. What is this?

Posted , 78 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I really hope someone can help on this forum. As soon as I am just about to fall asleep I get this kind of 'rush' that triggers in the centre of my brain and my heart. I then have adrenaline pumping ( not severe though ) but enough to then keep me awake as if I have drunk coffee. I feel adrenalised and can't sleep. I often then reach for melatonin which does sometimes help but not always. 

The doctor's just want to give me antidepressants and sleeping pills! I am not depressed and I don't want to take sleeping pills as they make me feel rubbish the next day and I don't just want to numb myself I actually want to get to the root of the issue as to what is causing this. 

This has been going on for 8 years and is really effecting my life. Can anyone tell me what is going on?? I am a very healthy person. I don't smoke. I don't hardly drink and I eat well and exercise, I also have low blood pressure.

If anyone can tell me what this is and/or wha to do about it I would be so grateful as I am very lonely in this as its almost worse being passes from doctor to therapist to healer and have no answers than to actually be diagnosed with something!

Can anyone actually help as I have run out of ideas and spent 8 years trying to get better and its still the same, I have just accepted this but its a rubbish way to exist. Any help would be so much appreciated if you take the time to read this.

Thank you smile

7 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI Ruthie,

I have always had this at times of stress/anxiety but have it much worse atm after a period of prolonged stress related insomnia/coming off Benzo's.. so yes my understanding is that it is essentially stress/anxiety related.. "The Sleep Book" also talks about this phenomena.. for me right now it comes and goes.. and the more stressed/anxious I am about it the more it stays.. so I try to be very accepting about it.. control my reaction when it happens, i.e. take some deep breaths, tell myself it's no big deal and even smile at it.. reacting to it in a catastrophic "oh no!!" way just makes it worse.. I am not sure how old you are?? but as we get older our cortisol levels tend to arise making our nervous system more trigger happy.. and I agree that adrenaline fatigue could be an issues.. there are various things we can do to reduce calm our nervous system such as yoga/meditation etc.. black/green tea.. I would google how to reduce cortisol/adrenaline.. magnesium might help also.. it's a horrible thing to have but I think it can be managed smile

• Edited

I have this problem at times and have found that the betablocker Propranalol is very helpful. It blocks the effects of excess adrenaline. 10 mg usually does it for me.
  • Posted

I've been having the same problem for 5 weeks now it's not just falling asleep it's while I'm asleep and I can't lay in in the morning either. It's like i'm fast asleep and then suddenly have an adrenaline Rush over and over again that wakes me up constantly.

• Posted

Hi @josh59910

i have the EXACT same issue. Have you found any relief for this issue . I need sleep soon! Thanks in advance 😃

• Posted

Hi All,

I get the same thing, had it off and on over a year now, falling asleep and i get a wave of adrenaline come over me, sensation in my chest, sometimes a body movement with it, other times just the wave of adrenaline, it can happen multiple times through the night until morning arrives and I'm truly exhausted.  I have been to the doctors about it and he said its basically a mini panic attack thats happening between being awake and drifting to sleep.  I think it happens to me due to two things. Firstly, underlying anxiety about something (I have GAD anyway but that is getting better) something playing on your mind that your anxious about but maybe not so on the surface.  Also, once it happens a few times I think my brain gets the wrong idea and thinks that me falling asleep must be dangerous! So, as a result keeps doing it to keep me awake just in case, I think that is a large part of it as well, once the cycle begins its very hard to break it that very same night, the next night might be fine, but the night its happening it can be hard to get yourself out of the cycle.   

Going to bed early has helped me, not watching films late at night, no email or work after 6.30pm, we have a dog now(last few months) and she helped me so much with my anxiety and everything, she has made me get out more, push myself more and she distracts me from everything else, she has become my best friend. 

Also, I found this advice on another website or perhaps here, its sounds crazy but works to some extent, just talk out your issues or thoughts with yourself during the day and convince yourself that everything is fine or will be fine or that whatever it is you will find a way to come that does not mean the end of the world.  Do this its almost like talking to your sub conscious mind and amazingly for me it has worked a number of times, not every time but quite a few.  Oh, no alcohol, drugs, cigs, coffee etc before bed obviously. I am 40 and have had this for over a year.

• Posted

Pretty much everything that Mark said.

I get this adrenaline rush when falling asleep from time to time. It is sometimes triggered by anxiety about something I havent fully worked out in ny mind. Normally I can figure out what it is thats making me anxious, but its difficult to get to sleep before 3am when this happens. I find that it also happens when Ive been dozing off on the couch for a while trying to keep myself awake for a show or something. Alcohol makes it worse.

Some rules I follow when this happens: Do not remain in bed. Doing so will only make things worse. Go somewhere else and do something else like read, play a game, watch a movie youve seen 10 times... Remaining in bed for longer than 20 minutes is just going to make you more anxious. Do not become frustrated. Doing so will only make it happen again the next night. Try and go to bed when youre feeling sleepy. Staying up past that might trigger the reflex. And try and use your bed only for sleep (and maybe 1 other thing). Dont read in bed, watch tv in bed, etc.. Lastly try to give yourself an hour before bed of just nothing, or as little mind input as possible.

Hope that helps. When all else fails, just dont get frustrated. Just dose up on the melatonin early the next night and dont think about it.

Oh, and exercise daily.

• Posted

This reply was so insightful! And I have noticed almost everything you said in terms of how it’s caused. I’m so grateful that I’m not the only one that experiences this. I have been having really bad anxiety for a while now, and in the past month, this has started happening to me. I find what you said about going to sleep right away when you feel sleepy and not staying up after very interesting.

I actually just experienced the “jolts,” and after reading this, realized that was exactly what I did. I was laying in bed watching a video on my phone, and started to feel myself falling asleep. However, I tried to force myself to stay awake for a while so I could finish the video. Finally, I gave up because I couldn’t keep my eyes open, but I had to stand up to turn the lights off before going to bed, which woke me up a bit. Then, when I tried to go to sleep, I experienced the harsh adrenaline rush we all know and hate. I kept trying to sleep and couldn’t. After about 20 “jolts,” I gave up and decided to look this up. Quite frankly, I think the keeping yourself awake might be the primary factor in causing this. (At least for me) I actually kind of have a theory.

So, I have experienced sleep paralysis four times in my life, and am very acquainted with the sensation. Sleep paralysis occurs either when your body goes directly from being awake to deep sleep/rapid eye movement sleep. (REM) Normally, during sleep, you have a sort of sleeping cycle that begins and ends in a shallow state of sleep, with about 2 or 3 periods of deep sleep which last about 1 or 2 hours I think. The first time this “jolting” happened to me, I immediately recognized that I had been slipping into the sensation I had when I got sleep paralysis. I believe this “jolting” May be a sort of defense mechanism for our brains that prevents us from falling straight into REM and experiencing sleep paralysis. And perhaps when we try to force ourselves to stay awake, we put our brains to sleep in a way, somehow turning on a switch that tells it that it’s time for deep sleep.

So, as you said, it looks to me as though the best solution is to get up, wake yourself up again, and try to go to sleep once more once you feel the fatigue setting back in. However, if you’re doing these things and are still experiencing the adrenaline rushes, I would consult a neurologist and see if there is something in your brain or lifestyle that is causing your body to prepare for deep sleep each time you go to bed. Once again, this is only a theory, but I hope this helps someone. Good luck, guys, you’re not alone.

• Posted

Forgot to finish a sentence in there. Sleep paralysis occurs either when going straight from being awake to REM, or when you’re woken up while in REM. So, for those of you experiencing being jolted awake once you’re already asleep, (which I have) it’s possible that something was waking you up, and your brain sent out that jolt to prevent you from falling into sleep paralysis. (Which is absolutely horrible, and a terrifying experience) Sleep paralysis also tends to happen more often when you’re under a lot of stress or anxiety.

So, my advice is, if you get these jolts, don’t panic. I believe it’s simply your brain protecting you from something far worse. Accept it. Be grateful for it, honestly. Stand up, wake up, and try again when you get tired again. I reiterate once again that this is just a theory, but I feel like I’ve really struck on something here. I wish you all sweet dreams and a good night’s rest.

• Posted

Final sidenote: sleep paralysis can be induced by sleeping on your back. So, if you’re a back sleeper, I would recommend trying to sleep on your sides instead. I only ever sleep on my sides for fear of getting sleep paralysis a fifth time.
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie! You are definitely not alone in this!! I go through the same exact thing, and I have seen a psychiatric nurse practitioner for this who told me that I have major OCD.

Now before you say "How is this related to OCD?", I'd like you to think about what you do in the day before you try to sleep. If you have been trying to do something, but keep forgetting to do it due to someone or something distracting you from it, it will lead you to feel incomplete, right? If so, then you probably have the same type of OCD issue I have. And if not, then you should still consider asking a professional who works in the psychiatric department for your help. They don't have to force pills on you, so you can just get a therapist if that helps.

Anyway, I was just having a rough day today and I thought I should see if someone else has this issue. And luckily I have! Hope you get the help you need, regardless of my 10 month late responsesmile

• Edited

I have a very similar experience which has been going on for nearly 4 years.  

Every time I drop of to sleep at night, 10 minutes (more or less) later I wake up with a start.  My heart is racing and I feel a sense of dreadful depression and fear.  This only last a minute or so and I realise it’s just that ‘thing’ again.  The realisation reassures me and I usually drop off to sleep again after 10-15 minutes, though sometimes it wakes me completely and I get angry with it all.   It never happens a second time and even if I wake in the night it doesn’t recurr.  Eventually I’ll drop off again. 

I eat reasonably well, am not overweight, have no major health problems, post menopausal, don’t drink or smoke, I do moderate exercise.  Nothing has changed in the past 4 years to trigger this.  I have no idea why it all started.   I’ve never suffered with OCD, anxiety or depression, or any other mental health issue.  I also am not currently having any worries which cause insomnia and never have had insomnia apart from an odd poor night.  

So basically no reason outside the unexplainable spurt of adrenaline.

Does it affect me?  No, because I won’t allow it to.  I’ve never bothered seeing the doctor or having tests.  I know my heart is fine and my general health good, so what’s the point?  There’s not going to be a treatment that doesn’t leave me drowsy or medicated 24/7 for something that lasts a few minutes.  

I could very easily become wound up and neurotic about it.  It sometimes feels like a torture to know you are nice and cosy and drowsy and about to drop off to sleep but know you will jerk awake 10 minutes later.  However I know it won’t kill me and I know I will eventually go to sleep for the rest of the night so I won’t allow it to cause me any more trouble than it already does.  

• Posted

Hey kate, i loved your reply.

i get these jolts sometimes and struggle with going back to sleep. Your way of looking at it is amazing.

why to be afraid of something which we know isn't gonna kill us anyway. let it come and let it go.

• Posted

3 years on and I still get this every night. They seem less but I think I may just have got used to it. I just wake with a start after ten minutes and feel like someone died. Then I realise its just the same old feeling, nothing new, I'm fine, the world's fine, so I put the radio on for ten minutes and I go back to sleep.

• Posted

Hi all, I get this problem every so often when I'm stressed. Just as I feel myself drifting off to sleep, I have a big adrenaline rush that makes my heart jump out of my chest and I kick myself awake, this would happen all night and I'd literally get no sleep for several days. Of course once you have this issue, it's a cause of stress and anxiety in itself, so you can get stuck in a vicious circle where your anxiety is causing you a sleep issue and your sleep issue is causing your anxiety. For anyone else who suffers with this I'd recommend asking your doctor for propranolol (a beta blocker that blocks adrenalin) I have to take 40mg because my symptoms can be quite severe. They have worked wonders for me.

• Posted

I have this as well! its been going on for about 2 years now. Almost every evening before going to sleep, I sit in bed with my iPad, either reading, watching YouTube, or Netflix. At around 10 pm, all of the sudden I feel totally exhausted, and I can barely keep my eyes open - I often fight the feeling but at some point I have to give in, put the iPad down, and sleep. I start to drift off right away and then right at the point where sleep is upon me, I wake up with a jolt, that is usually accompanied with a sense of dread or doom and gloom. Sometimes right before the jolt, I have what feels like a dream where i am not quite awake and not quite sleeping, and its always a disturbing dream, with more thoughts than images, and sometimes with the sensation that I am sinking or falling, with a tinge of nausea. Like i am going a bit nuts! After the jolt, I feel totally awake, zero fatigue, like its 9am. Then i read for another 30 minutes, and when I go back to sleep I easily drift off, and often have a lovely sleep. The odd thing is that this almost never happens when I am in a hotel or visiting relatives. I think this is all stress related. I have a demanding, stressful job and I think my body has forgotten how to turn the stress trigger off when the workday has ended. This all used to freak me out but now I just find it annoying.

As for how to deal with it, i have noticed that it is less likely to occur when I dont have anything that heightens the stress, like coffee or chocolate, before dinner, when i have an active day with lots of physical movement, when i have a relaxed day, when i meditate regularly, and when I have taken a magnesium tablet. I actually just ordered a magnesium lotion that you rub into your skin before bed - its supposed to help with sleep. it arrives tomorrow and cant wait to try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.