Adrenaline surges?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Is anyone else experiencing adrenaline surges? They are so scary! I had a super busy weekend with a big graduation party for my daughter on Saturday. On Sunday night, after all the party cleanup was over and I was resting, my heart rate went crazy. Shot up to 120 and pounded for about 3 hours. It felt like a constant rush of adrenaline. Is this typical of menopause? 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teri

Congrats on your daughters graduation! It's definitely typical for me, and is why I went to my gp a few months ago. I know exactly what you mean, and it's almost like a chemical reaction rather than being aware of any stress. I'm 43 and have primary ovarian failure and so was classed as menopausal from 16. I have only taken hrt a few times over the years , but the symptoms you mention plus aches and pains and terrible anxiety gave me a kick up the butt to get it treated. Been on bhrt for just over 3 months and my hormone levels are now pre menopausal and the anxiety is better than it was, and I don't get the rush of adrenaline anymore. Hope that helps in some way and hope you feel better, Sara xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! It’s good to know others have this too - although I’d wish it on no one! Sorry to hear about your long term struggle. You’re right though, this symptom took me straight to the doctor. Feels too much like a heart attack! My doctor is checking thyroid function. He said my last labs 2 years ago were borderline. If that’s negative I may ask about BHRT. Good luck to you! 
    • Posted

Btw, that’s exactly what I’ve been saying to my husband and doctor. It feels chemical, not emotional. Last night when my heart was racing my husband asked what I was stressing about and I said absolutely nothing! We were watching TV and completely relaxed. Yet I could feel the adrenaline surging. 
  • Posted

Hi teri... Welcome to the club.. Yes This is one ofther many symptoms of the menapause... You will get used to it...mind yourself. CK
  • Posted

Hi Teri

Yes this has just started happening to me. I had my hormone blood tests done and my DHEA was off the chart this is stress on your adrenals my doc said, also sleep exercise and eating right will help. My blood pressure is higher than it ever has been not in the bad range but ive always had really good blood pressure.

• Posted

Thank you! I should have made a copy of my lab request to see what we’re testing for. I know it’s the basic pre-physical work up. I wonder if/how the extended heart racing episode I had overnight would effect the test this morning. Hopefully enough to get some answers. Very tired of hearing “tests all clear, call us if symptoms worsen”! 
    • Posted

Hi Deedee , has your dheas always been high? I did a nutritional muscle testing and found out its actually my pitituary and thyroid thats triggering the symptoms..Ive always had high dheas in the past.
    • Posted

Hi!

Ive never had them checked before but I did have graves disease years ago had radiation and struggle with thyroid meds. What did they do for you?

• Posted

Hi Teri. Congrats on the graduation, you must be so proud.

Yes, adrenaline surges are all down to an imbalance between your hormones and your adrenaline. The more you stress about it, or are anxious, the more the adrenaline pumps out forcing you into a vicious circle. I know all about this as my husband rushed me to A&E, thinking I was having a heart attack. You need to find yourself some coping mechanisms. I started going to Tai Chi, which I found good, but the best thing I ever did was sign up to a Therapist. He's taught me breathing exercises, I've had hypnotism and he's taught me breathing exercises. But most importantly, he's there to listen to me and I feel like he's an extra friend now. I still get the rushes and the pounding occasionally, but I've learnt how to stay calm and they dissipate much quicker.

I hope this has been of help to you. All the best. x

• Posted

very first symptom at age 40. I hate it. Went to the heart dr. 3 times. It's calmed down a little but it caused me extreme anxiety. ugh!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.