Adult oral thrush for 2 months, doctors cannot help me anymore.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 29 years old and I have had what was diagnosed as oral thrush for about 2 months now. I have seen 3 different doctors and have been on Nystatin for 2 weeks, Clotrimazole for another 2 weeks, and finally Fluconazole for a final 2 weeks. Nothing has worked. The only thing these medicines have done is get rid of the burning sensation on my tongue. Now that I have run out of medicine my doctor has told me he doesn't know what to do and that I am basically on my own. He thinks I may have burning mouth syndrome. He ran a bunch of tests on me to see if I had any underlying illnesses, but I am perfectly healthy he says. He even said my tongue looked normal? Yet it burns so badly. I don't know what to do now. Is there something I can do to at least sooth the burning pain on my tongue? Has anyone gone through the same as me? I'm trying to get an ENT to look at it but I have a feeling they're not going to be able to help me either at this point.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Something I have learned after many situations similar to what you are going through is to always seek the opinion of a second and even a third professional.

It's not that your doctor is bad, but not every doctor knows everything or knows all the conditions, so I would advise you to see an ENT doctor.

To ease your pain, wouldn't a pain relieving throat spray do the trick? Something lidocaine-based, for example? Remember to ask a doctor before using anything, this is just a layman's guess.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.