Advanced Prostate Cancer Treatments and Abiraterone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My dad was diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer. His Gleason score was above 10 and his PSA was 130.

From the start we were told that given the fact that his cancer was advanced and very aggressive, and that he may well not respond to the hormone treatment. But he did, with the first few injections and a radical change in diet, his PSA dropped to 0 and he enjoyed good health for almost 3 years.

About 8 months ago his PSA started to increase and double , its now 16.

When his PSA first came down after the initial hormone injection he was full of life and energy. He became very active, walking several tines a day and riding his bike daily. He changed his diet radically but since a year ago became complacent, and as his PSA began to rise again, he has become very 'tired', drained of energy (so not exercising much anymore) and says he feels old.

He's not responding to the hormone treatment anymore, they have tried stopping the hormone therapy to see if it stops activity but not successful.

I have two questions:

(1) They're considering putting him on Abiraterone but I'm wondering how long that will help for and at what point he'll start to deteriorate?

(2) Also, are there any other treatments available that may help my father's cancer? There are thousands of people claiming cures to make a quick buck out of the vulnerable, but are there any possible treatments I may consider for my father that may work?

Thanks a million in advance for your advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Fana, 

Your Father has battled manfully against his disease and no doubts, with both your loving and caring support and the care of his medical team,  he will continue to do so.

And if he should look over his shoulder,  he will see countless thousands of us trudging down the road behind him.  Some in clear view and others just vague outlines.  But all,  headed in the same direction.   And not all of us with the same level of support which in you,  he is very fortunate to have.

Abiraterone was formulated in the U. K. In 1993 and in trials, whilst not unexpectedly incorporating a raft of side-effects,  was observed to be effective in prolonging acceptable life by a few months. To the effect that the trial was straightaway curtailed and all patients taken off placebo and given Abiraterone. On average life expectancy was about 16 months.  Abiraterone was also found in general,  to reduce bone pain to levels that morphine analgesic could for many,  be stopped.

Hopefully you will find the Wikipaedia site on Abiraterone informative and helpful.

No doubts your post will attract many helpful comments and suggestions regarding alternative therapies. In my case a well -meaning lady said to me ' oh, just eat asparagus' .   ' Of course ! ' I thought... ' why didn't I think of that ? '.  ( Personally  I am finding humour to be the most satisfying therapy of all ).

Hopefully your Father and yourself will have a passage through this difficult period which is blessed,  with much love and peace.

Kind regards,

Dudley

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in 2009. gleeson 9 and stage 4. had radiation treatment. (You didnt mention) for 4 weeks at full level. Then 3 monthly injections plus Casadex

I dont produce PSA and therefore rely upon CT Scans. There was some growth of the nymph nodes and the consultant put me on watch and wait.

I went on to abirraterone 12 months ago

The cancer has shrunk back and im due another scan in 2 weeks. Prior to the treatment I was given 12 months.

There are side effects. I have diabetes 2 Im not as fit as i was but then im 74 and some times you have to disquish what is due to old age and whats down to the treatment. I still have my injection every 3 months.

I have spoken to quite a few men at the cancer centre and some were only on it for 3 days. prehaps im fortunate

You have to follow the advise yiur given. unfortunatly there is no long term solution as yet.

good luck.

• Posted

John and Peter, thank you for your kind words and your very helpful replies. It is most appreciated.

I am hoping your condition is reasonably OK in recent days, that you are not in too much pain, and you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Does anybody else have any feedback on my query about my father's cancer?

Thank you once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.