Advanced Stage (Stage 4) Prostrate Cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

My dad (age 58 years) was diagnosed with Stage IV prostate cancer 2 weeks ago. He also has DVT and he is on Clexane 0.6mg twice a day. Doctor had immediately started Caluran 50mg thrice a day after biopsy was done. His PSA reduced from 72.5 to 60 after medication. Doctors suggested hormonal treatment and we chose to go through medication (inj. Degarelix). Doctors say they will start chemotherapy along with hormonal treatment for better results. They say we have an option of going with the drug called 'Abiraterone' instead of chemotherapy at some point body would stop responding to this drug and then chemotherapy has to be given. I would request answers to the following questions:

1. What is the approximate time period for which body can respond to this drug Abiraterone? 

2. Is there a possibility that this drug is alone sufficient in the long run and there would not be any need to chemotherapy? 

3. Going with the doctor's comments that chemotherapy would be required later, is there a possibility that our research takes a leap forward and we won't need chemotherapy anymore and instead medication would be sufficient?

4. What is a better option to take at this time, chemotherapy or medication with Abiraterone, considering patient is ready for either.

Current medications:

1. Degarelix 240mg was taken once 2 days ago for the first time. 

2. Inj. Clexane 0.6mg twice a day

3. Urimax tab. 

4. Bond 7 tab. (calcium tablets)

5. Amlo 5mg (for BP)

Please give your valuable suggestions and let me know for any further details.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could not see which country you are in from your profile. What were the results of the biopsy? Has he considered or have alternative treatments been offered?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I am from India.

His gleason score is 9 (4+5).  His hormonal therapy has started and he will be getting an injection every month for the same as stated above. We are now asked to choose from chemotherapy or Abiraterone.

Thank you for your time and support.

• Posted

I'm also T4 and on Abiraterone. However, in my case it is combined with Enzalutamide and Prednisolone as part of a drug trial testing the difference, if any, between that and standard therapy. See my "Stampede Arm J commentary below, about a month ago. I'm still here after 2 years since start of trial. Though I'm not qualified to suggest how much of this might be due specifically to the Abiraterone, rather than the combination with Enzalutamide, it might be worth your Dad trying it.

Have a look at the following website for further info.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/treatments/abiraterone

Good luck!

• Posted

I echo RichardKen's questions.

Also make sure your Dad doesn't irritate the site where the Degarelix was injected. That means his belt needs to be lower or higher than where the injections were given to his abdomen.

I know this first hand having started on Degarelix  last week.

• Posted

Sure will take care of that..thanks a lot. You too please take care of yourself. Get well soon! smile
    • Posted

I suggest your father doesn't start any medication in addition to Degarelix until he has been on Degarelix for at least a month. All such meds have side effects.

And you don't want to bombard him with too many meds in one go.

Has he had scans performed to evaluate the extent of the cancer spread?

For castrate resistant prostate cancer, Abiraterone is far more commonly used in the USA than chemo. I am in Australia and both are offered.

You should find a urologist you trust, not an oncologist, to explain to you which of chemotherapy or Abiraterone is better suited to your father, given his overall health situation and the extent the cancer.

• Posted

Hi There

Just curious to whether you are paying for the Abriaterone

I am 48 and was given the same option as your dad

But I am paying for mine which costs lots of money.

I was a glesion 9 t3/4. Psa 32 that was in Feb 2017

My psa at the moment is 0.01

Look forward to your reply

• Posted

May I ask what country are you in? How much does the Abiraterone cost? What side effects have you experienced from Abiraterone? Are you on Degarelix as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.