Advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

In 2014 I was finally referred to a Psychiatrist, now in 2016 I believe I am finally well medicated, and treated for the disorder. I have also finally got my life sorted and stopped my self destructive lifestyle. I work and go to uni so am busy all the time. Theres just one thing preventing me from getting and thats when I think back to some of the things ive done before being medicated I feel ashamed and disgusted with myself. I wasnt a bully or anything only bad to myself whilst being self destructive. 

So my question to the form is there any books or anything i can read to figure out how to move on with life and stop living in the past?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

HI there's a course you can go on called mindfulness i only managed 1 meeting but you can get referred through your pdr .. I'm waiting to start again.
  • Posted

Is it possible to apologize to the people you believe you hurt? If that is what is holding you back, maybe this would heip?
    • Posted

I didnt hurt anyone just myself, my behaviour only harmed me. I think thats why im strugging so much to move on
    • Posted

I did exactly the same. There is days when all is well and you go through your day not thinking of your past, but when we hit the low stage, thats when everything crawls out of the darkness again.  We choose what we think, and we have control over our own thoughts ( and I am being a big mouth now, because i am still struggeling to manage this) and are able to concentrate on the positive rather than the negative. Take one day at a time, and if you fail today....don't give up....tommorow is another day to start over and try again, but it starts with you. And try to remember that when you harmed yourself you were'nt well, you were'nt in your right mind, so be thankfull everyday that you are better now. I really hope this helps a bit, I know how bad self hating can get....it's no fun. But in ourselves lies the power to overcome. ( I need to print this for myself and read it everyday....lol). Don't be so hard on yourself!! Have an awesome and beautiful day!!
  • Posted

It's easy to be self destructive. Don't go feeling guilty that is a warped thought. Do well at uni and prosper. the way is forward now so onwards and upwards.

rich

• Posted

Thank for replying starting uni was a good choice i think its helped greatly in getting on with my life 
    • Posted

glad to hear it don't get too stressed will you some of us have already been down that path.
  • Posted

Hi Gavin

It all starts with you.... you have to forgive yourself. It is hard believe me I know, but that is the only way. Books, classes and seminaars....they all might help...but the real change starts with you and the way you think. I am in the process off changing myself to be a better, loving, friendly person and believe me evry 10 minutes I have to make a course redirection. Changing the old is hard but it can be done if that is what we really want. All you have is today, yesterday is forever gone and can never be changed and tommorow is only a promise, so we have to give our very best everyday. We must learn from the past and try not to make the same mistakes. That is why we have these past experiences.....to teach us to be better and to learn from our mistakes. You must be the change you wish to see. Good luck and all the best.

• Posted

I just wish there was an easier quickier way to do it, thank you for replying.
  • Posted

Hi Gavin =) I will ease your mind to let you know that all of us have our ups and downs and have done things we wish we did not do. So you are not alone in this. Me personally i have led a life that I was ashamed for to in the past. I was taught that our fight is not against people flesh and blood but against principalities and powers of the air, which is the enemy. The battlefield is in our mind. Many people think that we have to medicate ourselves to overcome things in our mind that cause us to fear, to worry, to be angry, to be depressed and yes there is sometimes where there is a chemical imbalance that you do need medicine, however most of the time, this is just the chatter everyone faces in their own minds. Remember the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other pictures. It is the same in this case and true. I struggled with fear worry doubt and anger and many things in my life. But after being saved in 2010 i have realized with jesus help that i can take every thought into captivity and tell the enemy to flee. You to can be free from all shame guilt as well. This is the enemy coming to you trying to condemn you for your mistakes. However God didn't come to condemn us but to give us life. So tell the enemy of your soul to shut up and flee haha =) You are a overcomer, you made it through,  you rose us, conquered your obstacle, you are strong and mighty and the enemy is angry at that. =) So keep your eyes forward, don't look back and keep running your race! You are going to make it to the finish line with flying colors =) <3 >
  • Posted

Hi Gavin,

If truth be told many people with BP have done shameful and disgusting things, especially when manic. Please get help in forgiving yourself, that was then and this is now. You are the new and improved Gavin. I sent you a private email mentioning a BP course online - the faciliator is bipolar (opps, has bipolar) and it's a high functioning, knowledgeble.  I wish I had answers on how to move forward from the shame, I'm working on that too and feel like I'm finally moving away from the past.  The very best to you.   Karin

• Posted

Dear Gavin, A book I am finding helpful at the moment is: 'Living Contemplation' by Simon Small.  I wish you well with your studies, Clare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.