Skip to content
Ad

Bipolar Affective Disorder

Also known as Hypomania, Mania

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

• A long road to bipolar

I live in New Zealand, and I retire on Christmas day this year. Three years ago, I had some mental problems, and my wife called in the police, who promptly took me down to the police station, where I was "sectioned" into the psychiatric unit at the local hospital. I was in the psych unit for...

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Mood stabilizer stopped working?

My doctor prescribed me an antipsychotic to help control a nasty mixed episode. It worked pretty well for about a week, but now I've noticed that it doesn't seem to be working nearly as well. Has this happened to anyone else?? Do I need a higher dose or just a completely different med?

Last reply
  • Mania with only mind paranoia?

After experiencing a antidepressant-induced mixed episode, I began to be paranoid that the police were after me all the time; I would be scared by passing lights and my own brake lights, and think that whenever someone looked at me it was because there was something wrong with my car. At first I thought...

Last reply
  • Chester Bennington and Robin Williams

Today I am P****d!! I haven't slept for a few days so l am a little off my rocker. My thoughts will ramble all over the place as I am manic but depressed at the same time. Anyone else go through this crap?? I have been in the Batcave for a few days now with my thoughts and it just struck me... I...

Last reply
  • I'm back again!!!

Hi as anyone who follows the chats on here will recognise I ask for help/advise when my partner is having an episode!! What I want to know is when I can see his behaviour changing & leading up to an episode what can I do if anything to prevent it happening  Also this happens every 3/4 months...

Last reply
  • A long road to bipolar

I live in New Zealand, and I retire on Christmas day this year. Three years ago, I had some mental problems, and my wife called in the police, who promptly took me down to the police station, where I was "sectioned" into the psychiatric unit at the local hospital. I was in the psych unit for...

Posted
  • Does my girlfriend have bipolar or some mood disorder?

Sorry this is so long, I’m sorry, I would really appreciate any reply. I’ve fallen in love with a fantastic girl with one major problem, her mood. Her mood swings severely. When she is tired, stressed, pms-ing or feeling down, she can be so hurtful in what she says. She can get so upset over what I...

Last reply
  • Bipolar is ruining my life

I've been dealing with bipolar for six years now. And it's hard. Every week I break down. But I've started to become more hopefully with the right meds and therapy. I've also tried to change my perspective. I want to to see the good in 'bipolar'. I read some really good quotes...

Last reply
  • I want out

Don't get me wrong I'm proud of everything I've that done, but it doesn't feel enough.. I hate my bipolar.. I want to get rid of it

Last reply
  • Mood swings are giving me whiplash

So first of all, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet (I have a psychiatrist appointment in November, but my psychologist and pcp don't feel comfortable with diagnosing me at this point). I've been suffering from major depression since I was 12, a little under a year after going through...

Last reply
  • bipolar girlfriend possibly cheating. i am broken

Hello, The situation : we just moved in together ever since she claims to have lost affection ( like she says it , i love you , i am just not in love anymore) she barely lets me touch her , last time we had intimate contact was sathurday , and it was 4 at night , meaning she was half sleeping...

Last reply
  • Chronic apathy after discontinuing antipychotic

I was given Haldol injections, and also prescribed Zyprexa and Depakote all at once for my first manic episode. I discontinued because of how bad they made me feel. I've been apathetic and indifferent ever since taking all these horrible drugs. Antipsychotics are supposed to make patients indifferent...

Last reply
  • Mother having delusions

For the past few months my mother who has been diagnosed with Bipolar has been hearing things. She claims the neighbours have been calling her mad and harrassing her but every time I hear her shouting out back I hear no reply from anyone. She talks to herself frequently. I'm 17 and have been trying...

Last reply
  • chronic bipolar depression

hi am currently in the grips of bipolar depression, i have been at rock bottom for 8 months, had three medication changes, was hospitalised for two weeks and am currently on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist to see about changing medications yet again as my current combination is having zero effect....

Last reply
  • Lithium Carbonate—messing up my communication skills?

So I have Bipolar II. I was on Lamictal for a little bit but I stopped because it wasn’t working and I was forgetting how to spell words. Now I am on Lithium and I feel like I am forgetting how to order my words in a sentence, if that makes any sense at all. It’s like I can’t speak well at all in a coherent...

Last reply
  • Why don’t I feel like talking?

I’ve recently had a 3 month extremely manic episode which was aggravated by a high caffeine intake. I was very talkative and had lots to say about various things that I can no longer even remember. I’ve been stable for around a month now. Only recently been discharged from hospital and since being...

Last reply
  • My BP Disorder Story

Hi there, Just thought I'd share my story with Bipolar Disorder. I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago this December coming, have been on lithium 3 years ago this January and it's done wonders... for the mania anyway. If depression takes hold, I'm prescribed Seroquel but don't...

Last reply
  • Bipolar girlfriend wants to break up/ wants a break

I have been with this beautiful young woman for 10 months and 5 days and we have talked about her being diagnosed with a BP Illness. I’m not sure what type she is tho but throughout our relationship we have been perfectly fine beside my anxiety getting in the way of us going places sometimes but we have...

Last reply
  • Voices in the head.

Hello. My friend is suffering from this issue where voices are controlling her actions by where she is feeling paralyzed while the voices are basically controlling physically and mentally but she is there aware but unable to do anything. She gets it when she is stressed and upset. Please help me out...

Last reply
  • Possible bipolar please help

I think I may have bipolar but I'm not 100% sure. Years ago I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. But I rarely have issues talking to anyone anymore, it's got a lot better. I'm severely depressed but other times out of no where I'll have bursts of energy and I have to wind someone...

Last reply
  • Can anyone recognise this

Sorry in advance for this long soon to be post.  I am 36 and had a troublesome childhood my father was a abusive man and although I loved my mother dearly I moved out at 16 as I felt I was unable to do and make my own decisions. At 12 I became sexually actively on whims of hyperactive and was drinking...

Last reply
  • I am seventeen and possibly bipolar

Hello, I was hoping I could get some feedback or advice regarding certain mental healh issues. In January 2017, I started feeling depressed and I would frequently cry, at first my family thought it was just a phase but it went on for months. I eventually tried to get help but it was futile as my suicidal...

Last reply
  • My girlfriend has a BP illness and what’s to take a break

I have been with this beautiful young woman for 10 months and 5 days and we have talked about her being diagnosed with a BP Illness. I’m not sure what type she is tho but throughout our relationship we have been perfectly fine beside my anxiety getting in the way of us going places sometimes but we have...

Posted
  • do i really have bi-polar?

I was told by my dr that I was bi -polar. yet I don't feel I have the symptoms. I have major anxiety. can someone tell me what bi-bolar symptoms are? I'm confused. thank you

Last reply
  • Advice For A New Bipolar Relationship?

Hi all I have just joined this site as I'm in a new relationship with someone with a diagnosed cyclothymic bipolar guy who is medicated with lithium. I'm sorry if this is too long but this is all very bizarre to me! We have been dating for over two months now, he has been sweet, attentive,...

Last reply
  • Weed and Abilify for Bipolar

I have bipolar which was in remission for almost a year, up until possibly a few weeks ago when my best friend died. I have been smoking weed for a few months now, pretty much daily - if I'm not in work, I'm high. I know, it's bad. The dr thinks I'm rapid cycling now with hypomania...

Last reply
  • Bipolar vs borderline?

I was diagnosed with bipolar about 2 years ago. However, I recently heard of a condition called BPD / borderline personality disorder. I noticed that a lot of the symptoms were the same. I took a test, that I'll link below, and it seems like it could easily be misdiagnosed? Has anyone heard or BPD...

Last reply
  • just started topomax

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about side effect good or bad about this med I'm taking it for mental health and pain..

Posted
  • How can I help him?

My boyfriend is bipolar. We have been together almost 2 years now and I seeing him going to ups and downs. Sometimes he is extremely happy and then extremely sad. This week is the worst. He can't snap out of it. He hasn't eating since Sunday when I was there. Can't focus on anything. He just...

Last reply
  • BIRTH CONTROL and ManiA???? Please somebody answer!

So back in January I woke up in the middle of the night in a full panic attack. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life. I was not working at the time and spent the next 2 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with me. It was taking 3 weeks to get into my GP....she was on vacation........

Posted
  • Bipolar 2, anxiety, mixed episode

Darkness surround me and I am alone. My story to long......my sadness to great. Life is hard and living for the brave....Feel like giving up but my one year old needs me. 42 and feel like a failure...where has life passed me by, when did I give up and why...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.