Possible misdiagnosis! What should I do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had mental health problems since I was 28. At first, I was diagnosed with bipolar disease, then my rather unhelpful psychiatrist said it wasn't and diagnosed borderline personality disorder. She said it couldn't be bipolar as i wasn't getting the mania side of it, as I've never presented to the hospital during an episode. My mum said to her that I was having such episodes and then returned to a "normal" mood level. She was dismissed by said unhelpful psychiatrist. Any way, now I have a different psychiatrist, who actually listens to me. She thinks I could have bipolar after all. She sent me some mood diaries to fill in until I see her again. At first, I was in the normal range, then my mood elevated at a high 8/low 9 out of 10 for 6 weeks and a few days, then returned to 5 or 6, the normal range. They know I have severe low moods as well, I've been in hospital for suicidal thoughts and psychotic symptoms. I've been in mental health units both as a voluntary and a patient detained (Sectioned/committed) under the mental health act. My main question is, if my new consultant (I see her very shortly and she's been looking through my medical notes) does diagnose bipolar, it means I have been misdiagnosed and may have even suffered because of it. What, if anything, is my recourse? Any help will be appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.