Advice ???!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I am on 150mg of ven XR and have been for 39 days and mirtazapine 45mg and have been for 9 months.

I have severe post natal illness primarily anxiety. My anxiety has reduced which is great....not gone and I still can t really go out.....but better. It seems to have been replaced by low mood and some headaches. Should I see this as progress ?

I plan to reduce the mirt but that may take a while depending how I respond then maybe increase the ven. I feel too medicated to increase the ven now on such a high dose of mirtazapine.

Could it be the depression just taking longer to lift and the headaches will pass ? Any experience or advice welcome.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I'm not sure if you saw my reply on the other post. I'm sorry you feel like you do. I've read your above post and I too have been left with lack of motivation and feeling low recently and I don't even suffer with depression. I've read that lack of motivation and feeling low are the last things to go and usually take 6-8 weeks. You can read this on google when putting in how long does it take for Venlafaxine to kick in. I'm still suffering with this too but it's getting better. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi James

Like you I do not really suffer with depression but that seems to be the main issue now along with headaches and feeling grumpy. My anxiety is reduced. I really hope this improves too. It is very hard to manage all this with a 1 year old. I just don t want to do anything.

So you think you low mood is improving ? I take it your anxiety is reduced too ?

• Posted

Hi,

My low mood and lack of motivation is very intermittent, yesterday I felt that it was improving and today I'm not so sure. I know I'm a lot better with my anxiety than where I was but I know I'm not 100%. I'm gonna leave it to 8 weeks and then increase again to 225mg. I've read that 225 mg is the max dose for GAD but dopamine only kicks in at 300mg+ which could help with your depressive mood. If you have noticed an improvement on these and honestly think you are better than where you were 6 weeks ago then I would speak to ur Dr about increasing or look at something else if not.

• Posted

Thanks James.

I am better than 6 weeks ago. My anxiety is definately lower and like you my mood changes from low and tearful to ok constantly. I'm on 40 days now so not yet 6 weeks. I am going to start reducing the mirtazapine this weekend as I think that is too high. I am still hopeful about the ven and am hoping to get some cbt soon as well.

I believe you have a new arrival on the way. It is amazing and overwhelming becoming a parent especially is you suffer with mental health issues. Be kind to yourself and remember that it is normal to feel quite overwhelmed initially. When is the baby due ?

• Posted

I'm hoping you will get there. I have trust in this medication as its done a lot more for me than citalopram ever did. I've done a lot of CBT and mindfulness and to be honest I think it's helped me a lot in coping. So I would 100% recommend picking up and book and reading about CBT as I think you will understand your thoughts and feelings better.

Yes the baby was due last Friday so anytime now. I am anxious about it but I think most people are when its their first child. I'm as excited as I can be as the main emotion I feel is fear and sadness.

Just think in 6 weeks time this could all be over, the tablets could kick in or the increased dose will work. You will get there, I can imagine it's very difficult with a one year old with the side effects but you're on the right track. I know the mind plays tricks and wonders what if they don't work etc... but if u feel you are better than 6 weeks ago then hopefully it's just about finding the right dose for you and me.

• Posted

That is not a high dose of mirt at all. I hope you are not breastfeeding as the medications will be going to Bub through your breast milk.

Headaches are a fairly regular side effect of Effexor. When was Bub born? I'm assuming 9 months ago when you started on mirt.

Effexor should be kicking in around now.

Mirtazapine is generally taken at night. That is to help you sleep.

I've never has Post Natal Depression so can't help with any advice there.

• Posted

45mg of mirt is the maximum dose that can be prescribed in the UK.

I am not breastfeeding.

• Posted

It could be the Ven just doesn't suit you. 150mg is a fairly high dose for depressive symptoms. Maybe consider a different anxiety medication. Start off on a low dose and increase only if you feel the need to.

A trip to the dr again I think ..

And remember Spring is on its way soon. X

• Posted

This is the last option as SSRI s made me worse. I have been very unwell and my psychiatrist wants me to stick with it as my severe anxiety has reduced. Am hoping the low mood will improve. Apparently it can take 3 months if you have been very I'll for an extended period as I have. Also the high dose of mirtazapine may be adding to the problem so am starting to reduce that.

Unfortunately I'm out of options and this is a lot better so far than my experience of SSRI s. My psychiatrist wants me to go to 225 as that is apparently the most effective dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.