Advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello i have just stumbled upon this site, and looking for some advice. I went to my gp this week due to pain he seems to think it may be gall stones and i am due an ultra sound scan in a few weeks. If it is gall stones and they need to operate and remove the gall bladder is it worth having done or best coping with this pain, thank you.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I went into er for pain a day later, it was taken out. There are good and bad results/possible outcomes. I had a complication following that required a second visit that turned into an additional stay in hospital. I am still getting used to changing diet because when I don't, I still have bowel issues due to the excess of bile. Plus side no more gallbladder stones or intense local pain.
  • Posted

ok thank you, it is not looking good, changing my diet will be hard as the food i need to eat for the gall stones i cannot eat due to having ibs, its a difficult situation, thank you.
  • Posted

Hi 

that is your decision and really depends on the level of pain and whether a low fat diet controls it.  Also what is shown on your scan. 

There are so many variables the reality is if you are getting the colic vomiting attacks which are so agonisingly painful you are begging them to remove it. If you get the occasional grumble aching pain cutting fat out of your diet and avoiding rich hard to digest foods will propberly settle it down ... 

basically you will know more after your scan .

hope that helps a little 

• Posted

Hi Amanda it's the best thing I did was to have gallbladder out, few post op issues but nothing too drastic. Look up fodmap diet, have been doing it over the last year or more due to having IBS, diverticulitus and barretts osphecus. You can sort your diet out regardless of the IBS. I have to adjust my food to my three issues but it's possible. Everyone reacts different to ops so you will get a mixed opinion. Hope all goes well and ask any questions as always someone will try to help.
  • Posted

Have it done I had mine removed 5 weeks ago and I'm am so pleased I had it done so nice to know I wont get that pain again its up to u good luck with your decision x
  • Posted

i so would beleve that it would be so much better if you was pain free. felling better if you can find someone to do it and make shure they do take care of it. hope you get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.