Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just after joing after reading some of the forums, it looks like the best place to get advice. Im currently on 45mg of mirtazapine along with 20mg of Seroxat, im also taking 450mg daily of Tramadol, i have read allabout the risks of tramadol with seroxat but I feel a million dollars on this mix of meds, i want to come off the tramadol as I know its not a long term fix for anything, im wondering if anyone has found an alternative to tramadol that will keep my serotanin levels like they are now, im sure there is somthing that will interatc with seroxat to give me this feeling

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm on tramadols when I have possible crohns flare up but if it's just relatively mild I opt for cocodine but I'm not familiar with serotanin maybe best speaking to your gp as they can advise on it
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I used to take codeine and they also give a good feeling but I quickly got addicted to them. I switched. To tram and it was then I started to feel great. I'm looking for an official anti depressant that I can swap for the tramadol and that will work with the seroxat
    • Posted

Hi, it's really interesting that you should raise the link between tramadol and feelng good.  I was on a very low dose of tramadol, 50mg twice a day, last May for pain relief and I noticed, about 30 minutes after taking it, that my mood would be elavated.

Around the same time I had some stressful things happen, my sleep went out of the window and I ended up at the doctors being prescribed antidepressants.  I was told to stop the tramadol, which I did, because of its interaction with antidepressants and the possibility of serotonin syndrome.  I then had the most awful 10 days of my life, severe anxiety and panic attacks, neither of which I'd experienced before.  I think this was because the tramadol was still in my system when I started the antidepressant.

I've now sufferd with depression for the last 8 months, for the first time in my life, and I think a lot of it is related to what happened in that 10 days, whch included an inability to sleep or eat.  I've done loads of research on tramadol and its antidepressant qualities, however as you will know, for lots of very good reasons, it's not prescribed for depression.

Your GP should be your first port of call.  You'll need to wean yourself off the tramadol.  I'm guessing that you'll then need to increase your current antidepressant and try a new one.  Please let me know if you do find anything to replace the effects of the tramadol.  Take care

• Posted

Tramadol is a terrible drug and should not be used for more than a few days at a time or you get hooked. It makes you feel energised and on top of the world as well as helping with pain. It is an awful drug to get off. Though a small minority do not have a problem with withdrawals, the majority of people do. It raises seritonin levels quicker and more effectively than any anti depressant, but this is not without a huge pay off when you try to come off it. Eventually you need the tramadol just to feel 'normal'.

As a previous user of tramadol as i am unable to take NSAIDs I found this out the hard way. I am sorry I cannot recommend a replacement for tramadol, because all drugs which have the same effect, have similar problems. The only way I was able to get off tramadol was to cut down really slowly. It took a total of 4 months to get myself free of it. The last 50 mg was the hardest. I opened the capsules and poured half away, then resealed and took the half dose. Then missed this half dose once a week, then twice and finally every other day before finally quitting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.