Advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys - I'm just wanting to pick your brains on a few things I've been thinking about, (went into af for the first time 2 months ago and was cardioverted - all tests and scans came back ok and I'm not currently on any medication)

1 - I'm going on holiday to India and was wondering if I could be prescribed any medication incase I go into af over there as I've read that some people have a "pill in the pocket" ?

2 - if I went into af abroad could I fly home whilst in af ?

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve

Have you been referred to a Cardiologist?

I first sufered an attack last July and they said at the time that there was no evidence of AF (as they hadn't 'captured the episode at its worst)... BUT in September it recurred and it was really, really bad and I wouldn't want to have been in any other place than A&E or a hospital to bring the rate down.

Not to be negative, I don't think an airline would take you on board with AF as it really does need careful monitoring and there's also the issue of what you currently should declare to your insurers.

I sincerely hope that you don't have a recurrence, but I would strongly advise you to speak to your GP to try and get to the root of what occurred 2 months ago or seek a second opinion prior to your holiday.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - I was referred to a cardiologist and he basically said go home live your life but this will happen again one day and things will get worse as I get older, once I've gone into af a few more times they will put me on medication then after a few years of that I may get an ablation - terrible feeling waiting for things to get worse before I get treatment as Id much rather be proactive in finding the root cause (if there is one) and taking steps to prevent this rather than sitting back waiting for it to get worse but from what I've been told by the cardiologist theres no other option :-(
    • Posted

I would talk it over with your GP and also ensure that your hospital notes record the advice of the Cardiologist, word for word. You can be referred elsewhere for a second opinion. An EP study could also help determine whether you definitely have AF, and they can ablate at the same time if that is the case. It didn't resolve my problem but has been of great benefit to many others. The Medical Profession just don't seem to 'get' what an issue this is.The NICE guidance for AF was updated last year and you could also look at that and ensure your local hospital is complying with it.

The more people who raise this as an issue and an 'unmet' treatment the better.

Best wishes

• Posted

I read part of a paper a cardiologist at my local hospital presented at a conference in which he said that only 15% of patients who would benefit from ablations ever get one.  
  • Posted

Hi Steve, For what it's worth, I got some advice from a fellow sufferer on another website. He started taking a drink made up of two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and 20mg magnesium. I found the two tablespoons too sweet, so I make it with one tablespoon and take it twice daily, with a magnesium tablet once a day. I mix the drink with hot water. The chap who suggested it said it stopped his AF the same day. I tried it, and it has stopped mine too. I've only had one episode of AF since starting this regime, and it didn't last long. I also was getting missed beats and extra beats, but this has virtually stopped as well. I'm wondering if this concoction contains some mineral which is lacking in people with funny heartbeats? I've had AF on and off for over 20 years. It used to be once in a blue moon, then more recently became almost daily. No other symptoms at all though. Since taking the drink, it is such a relief not to be bothered by it all the time. I have travelled by plane several times in the past, and never thought to mention the AF. I've never been diagnosed with it by a doctor. Many years ago I did ask a doctor about it, but he did a test and found nothing wrong, and said that almost everyone experiences palpitations but that not everyone notices them. He sort of implied that only neurotic people notice! He said it was caused by anxiety, but I pointed out that I hadn't been anxious before the attacks! Anyway, this remedy is worth trying. Hippocrates said, 'Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food'.
  • Posted

If you are worried, get yourself some valium. Amiodarone, my drug of choice ( HUH ) I take everywhere, so even if the af starts I can crush one and have a drink . . More you worry the worse it will get, do like the doc said - live your life .,. good luck. Buy yourself insurance for private care before you get diagnosed, 
  • Posted

Hi Steve, I too went into AF last June, as it didn't revert back with amiodorone at A and E, I was told it was permanent AF. I had a cardioversion in October which up to now has been successful. However, I had to stay on the beta blocker, in my case bisoprolol and warfarin. I am quite surprised that you were not kept on beta blockers at least, if it did come back it would help to slow the heart rate. I had to have a visit to my cardiologist before I was 'signed off', but most people who post on the site after cardioversions or ablation are usually on some sort of medication. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.