Advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

After spending a huge amount of time at my doctors for the last year and half and being sent to numerous blood tests to check to see if I have diabetes (which was negative) I have been diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa. I am on the waiting list to see a dermatologist but from doing research there is no treatment. Has anyone seen a dermatologist and if so has it helped?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I recently got disgnosed with HS too and I was the same until I went to see a dermatologist a couple of days ago.

I'm in stage one meaning it's isolated and although the condition isn't curable it's manageable. I'm currently still healing from having an abcess drained so I'm not sure what will happen in terms of the condition when it does eventually heal.

My dermatologist has given me a low dose of clindamycin to try, and told me to stay on my pill as hormonal changes can affect flare ups. She's also given me an antibacterial wash and an antibiotic cream if I feel as though I am getting another abscess.

I can't tell you what will work as from discussions I have read different things such as avoiding nightshade foods work for different people but the condition is manageable and your dermatologist will be able to prescribe and help you with managing the condition and improving the flare ups.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

I agree with eef123..different treatments work for different people,it's more or less trial and error.I myself havre been dealing this for over 20 years and my daughter has HS too.Seeing a dermatologist won't defintely hurt..But some advice research....research....research....knowledge is power and hopefully in time you'll find what works for you..Good luck and God bless!!! 
  • Posted

Yeah the dermatologist will attack the symptoms only, often quite unsuccessfullly. +1 for researching the diet factors and food intolerances... nightshades, esp potato for me.

20 years of suffering and 'treatment' before I worked that out.

• Posted

Yes, a dermatologist is the preferred doctor for HS. I saw one for years before I found remission after discovering my food sensitivities and triggers: nightshades, coconut (including palm oil) and nuts were my sensitivities. Everyone will have different triggers but nightshades are scientifically proven to be bad for people with autoimmune conditions and HS is an autoimmune condition. I do not have flare ups as long as I avoid these foods but if I accidentally eat just a little... even eating something in the same oil that potatoes were fried in, I will have a flare up within hours. I am very strict with my diet and rarely eat out. It's not worth the pain! Those foods = pain for me so I avoid them like the plague!
  • Posted

I agree with what the others have said.  I have had HS for 15 years, never finding much relief until I did my own research, and discovered my triggers.  For me it is anything outside of cotton clothing (especially undergarments), and diet.  I have to stay away from antioxident fruits, and keep my dairy intake to a minimum.  Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.