Advice

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently recognised I have a drinking problem. Well I've known for a long time but beginning to address it now. I depend on alcohol to relax and to elevate withdrawal symptoms. I have made an appointment with a counselling service for 2 weeks time. I feel a let down as a mother and a wife. I feel anxious all the time and have started anti depressants. Guess I'm looking for moral support from this site!

Thanks

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi😊 first step is hard recognising you have a problem.

You will definitely get support from this forum, you are soooo not alone.

I've been sober for 8 years with a few blips in between.

I thought I was a let down as a mum and wife but they lonely want to see you well again.

You have to change your lifestyle, keep busy, make to do lists for each day of the week. Take your mind off drinking. Time them off as you do them, I found this helped me😉

Good luck and keep going, it is so worth it xx

• Posted

Amazing Lisa... 8yrs sober is totally and utterly brilliant. I also found treats for myself when I stopped helped..obviously NON alchoholic treats..ha ha...still need a sense of humour to survive. You are in a good situation to give lots of peple good advice on this brillant forum..I am here now for nearly 1 1/2 year.... Robin
  • Posted

You are in the right place Chloe, I know how scary it feel when you know that you have to do something about your drinking. A life without it seems equally as terrifying. Take baby steps and set yourself achievable goals. You have not let anyone down, you just hit a hurdle and now you are trying to get over it, you should be proud of this if nothing else. You will eventually learn how to relax without alcohol, and re wire your body to get pleasuer and coping skills that are more effective. Good Luck! You can do it. smile

• Posted

Thanks for your response, your words make a lot of sense. I am imagining how I will be when I've gotten off drink and am trying to self help by lots of reading. Keeping busy is hard at times because I won't to either sleep or drink! When I have a good day it usually follows with a bad for some reason. I have doctors app tomorrow so feeling apprehensive about that but I know it's a step forward 😃

• Posted

I understand how you feel. Good for you on getting help and also joining this forum. The people here are very supportive and have lots of good suggestions to help you.

Smile☺

• Posted

Alcohol plays a big role in anxiety.

I am always hesitant to take meds when there is alcohol in my system.

I have been given new meds as well...but haven't taken them yet.

Counseling will help but wanting to stop..having the strength to get thru those anxiety moments (and not drink) can only come from within.

It IS difficult...especially when you know after a couple sips the relaxation will hit.

But after that the anxiety comes quickly....I do understand.

Welcome to the board.  It is nice to have people to chat with that understand.

• Posted

Hi Missy, I have seen your very helpful insights before. Your advice above is so true. I know you were responding to Chloe and not me but I am sure you can help me too! I am sitting here awaiting an assessment in less than an hour and am so nervous. I am so prepared to be open and honest but unlike many of this forum I was a non drinker until the ante depressant meds. You may have read my former comments. Ok so now I may be an alcoholic. But equally scared of coping without the ante depressant meds! X
    • Posted

Hi sharon..I am just seeing your response...I"m sorry about that sad.

Don't be scared of antidepressents because if you ARE..you can stop them...you won't be addicted to them...I usually give them a few days..

If they make me feel sick...I (antidepressents)...I stop and talk to my Dr. right away..you only want something that will make you feel "better".

I can usually tell that antidpressents bother me very quickly.

I don't know what assesment you were waiting for? Alcohol? 

If so..I'm sorry that you struggle from alcohol too..sad

But antidepressents CAN help...

But if they make you worse..than don 't put up with that..just to comply.

I always tell my DRs when something doesnt' work and i have never been let down for being honest.

You are #1...you have to do what works for you...and you really have to be honest to get the best help.

How did it go?

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who has posted support. Today is very bad, anxiety is sky high very shaky etc. I hope this hurdle I can conquer but feels impossible at the moment
    • Posted

Chloe, you'll get it under control because you want to. That's a good part of the battle right there. Heed PaulJTurner's advice. I used the method in that link and it worked out well for me. There are medications that can help you cut down or quit drinking and they have a much higher success rate than the traditional approach. Take some time to learn about Selincro, Naltrexone and Campral and how they work. 

Has your drinking changed at all since you started the antidepresants? 

• Posted

i joined late Choloe..how is your weekend?? Just wondering...Robin
    • Posted

Hi robin, it's been good thank you. I've had a drink but halved what I was drinking. Currently moving house so lots to do! Just glad I've got a little motivation back rather than wanting to either drink or sleep! Hope your goodsmile

• Posted

Ive aways been a drinker, bout since going on antidepressants I've been off work this allowing me to drink throughout the day causing me to hit a wall. Maybe it's good that I had to do that. Thanks for support, really glad I joined the site.

• Posted

mine good and stooped 3 1/2 yrs ago..not looking back. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.