Advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am now 12wks post op tkr .  Recently I put a post up saying I may need a mau however I am more confused now and just do not know what to do next.  My op was under private health insurance and I feel that the decision is mine as to what happens next.  Already discharged by consultant.  My Physio is saying my function level is not where it should be but it's ok, however is ok good enough at 53 years old. When I read about mau it concerns me and I change my mind.  Since week 10 my mobility etc has deteriorated bend is 105 straightening is -10.  I feel I am walking with a limp and straight leg.  When I am out and walking is difficult I decide yes def going for op and then I re think and worry will I go further back on recovery.  I may have osteoporosis and due to have scan on 8th and I have read that there is an increased risk with mau if u have osteoporosis.   I had stopped taking pain relief but back on co codamol twice daily.

Has anyone else been in this position and had mau that was successful 

what a difficult journey tkr is 😩

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maura, the 8th isn't far away - if I were you I'd wait and see what the results are there (will they give you SOME idea, even if it's not a thorough report?).   You're 53 - that's young so if you CAN get better mobility I think it's worth going for, but it will help you to decide if you know where you are re osteoporosis, I'm sure.  Then it might be a good idea to discuss with the consultant what your concerns are.  In the meantime, I'd try and make sure the bend and straightening doesn't deteriorate any more.

• Posted

An MUA is usually indicated when physical therapy does not achieve the desired goal (0 / +120) or close to it.  At -10, you're not close.  If you've done the PT and home exercises then you may need one...but...at 10 weeks, it's still early.  Maybe your knee needs a little more time and work.  

The limp concerns me since that may cause a misalignment of your hips or locked SI joints resulting in lower back pain or, heaven forbid, sciatica...which is what I got from "walking funny" at 5 weeks.  If you decide to give this more time, I would think about seeing my doc pretty soon if your ROM doesn't get any better.

• Posted

Maura, I just had the MUA in Tues. I'm 11 weeks and my bend was only a miserable 60 degrees. But I had been active and done exercises while the knee regressed.

?So it was an obvious thing for me to have it. My consultant said if I had 95 or more bend, he believed it would have been enough and I could have got more over time, but you can't do basic things with less. I'm 10 years older than you and not looking to do sports etc as I have OA generally and other ailments.

?The extension was zero but since the MUA, that has become more difficult. Intense physio has given me intense swelling and pain since!

?Only you can decide what is best for you and your results may inform this choice. But hope you get some answers.

• Posted

If you still have a limp, your muscles will also need to get stronger and your gait more normal. It may take several more weeks, even months, for it to all come together. It took me six months to walk without a limp after bilateral tkr. Good luck I. Your decision making.
  • Posted

Maura while you still do not have full strength extension you WILL limp! You really need to try to straighten that leg. All else aside the extension is imperative to walk without a limp.

Easy to say hard to achieve! With 105 flexion you should be able to carry on normal living, as you continue exercises & swelling goes down that SHOULD increase if gradually! You need to put in the hard yards though!

Concentrate on the extension & wait for a little longer, I assume you are having a DEXA scan, if you are in the UK you will not get the results there & then, but maybe you will if in USA?! Have they also taken bloods to check calcium levels? You can decide when you know whether you have osteoporosis or not, I hope not!

Keep working on the exercises, don't give up!

I wish you well.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.