Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

What was your experience withdrawing from a codeine addiction?

What method did you choose for withdrawal?

What helped your withdrawal?

What was the worst experience while withdrawing? 

In Victoria did you have medical help/ see a Dr that didn’t treat you badly? 

Withdrawal is frightening & I don’t know how or what to do to it right. 

But I’m determined & with the new codeine prescription laws it’s almost inevitable. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi surviver

firstly im in the UK so I have no info as to the AUS way of doing things,

are you single or do you have a partner, children depending upon you?

if your single and your able to keep yourself locked away for a week then I would recommend going cold turkey, it’s the hardest but quickest way to be free of the drug, if you have a family to support then I would recommend the tapering method, where you gradually reduce the amount of pills you take on a daily basis, both methods require a level of commitment to make them work, there is no such thing as an easy withdrawal from any drug, the cold turkey method will definitely be painful and unpleasant but will be over fairly quickly, the taper method will last a lot longer but will hopefully be a lot less unpleasant. If you want to ask any questions then please  just ask, I’m honestly just hoping to get people off the addiction that I’ve experienced n my past!

• Posted

Hi. I am also in the UK. I came off codeine completely in summer of 2017. I have relapsed again - but not taking as much as I used to and it is mostly prescribed now as well (ongoing pain issues). Make sure you’ve stocked up on loperamide (to ease the diarrhoea), you have plenty of regular paracetamol/ibuprofen to ease the withdrawal headaches and joint pain, I also made sure I had decent anti-histamines to ease the sneezing and constant runny nose. Finally I made sure I had some OTC sleep aid (first generation anti-histamines do the trick). Drinking plenty of water, lots of added vitamins and lots of hot baths or showers. For me the worst bit was the insomnia and the restless legs at night. I was useless for about a week. But hey past that and the worst is over. Good luck!
  • Posted

G'day,

I'm in NSW & recently started a Rapid Taper. 3 days ago. I feel crap.

I've also started a discussion in my desperate need for help.

I wish you luck... but remember - we can do it. Taking control back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.