Advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys im a 27 year old male for the past few years i have been breathless with sore joint in knees and fingers no sex drive and quite down the doctors said anxiety which it could be but i had tests done and the iron seemed high so i thought id see if you guys had any advice many thanks image

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

You should ask for serum ferritin to be run as well. Elevated serum iron and Transferring Saturation % could be a temporary dietary representation of iron. However, your ALT liver marker is also higher, which could be representative of iron damage of the liver, but you're young so this would be surprising to have significant iron overload of the liver at this point.

I'm 36. I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis basically right on my 35th birthday. I'll say i started to feel more crappy right around the age you're reporting, so i wouldn't rule it out. Ask your Dr. for serum ferritin, or if you really want a definitive answer, ask them for a genetic test for the C282Y and H63D genes...

Long story short, there's enough in that panel to be concerned to ask for more testing, but it alone is not enough to confirm whether you may have hemochromatosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.