Advice about bunion surgery

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I am 61 and I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery in the next few months. I struggle to find shoes that are comfortable and would love to hear from anyone who has undergone similar surgery. I also have a crooked toe which needs to be straightened. Please let me know about your experiences.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Christine. I fully understand your apprehension/indecision whether to go ahead and have the surgery. I first had my hammertoe and bunion looked at by a consultant in 2007 and at that time he suggested that it wasn't severe enough to put me through surgery ( I suspect given the very long recovery period following the operation and also bearing in mind how active I am and enjoy hill walking etc). However, the condition of both the problems had got steadily worse and discussing these with my GP last summer we both came to the conclusion that whilst my walking wasn't affected but that I'd suffered a lot of rubbing from the overlying shoes/sandals which was giving me blisters and very sore, especially in the very hot weather, and that I'd been wearing a gel toe protector on and off for several years to try alleviate the hammertoe problem, there was only one route to take if I wanted to see improvement and that was to be referred for surgery. Seeing my consultant in September I came away from the appointment under no illusions that the surgery would be painful and the recovery period very long I still couldn't get it out of my head that if left untreated the two conditions would only get worse and my walking would more than likely suffer. And so, I decided that I had to get on without further delay and have the surgery. I had this on 27 November on the NHS. It wasn't as painful by any means as I'd been warned to expect. I have been very much out of action for many weeks. But, with the elbow crutches, the heel wedge shoe ( and then after 6 weeks I was given a further flat soled shoe to wear as well at my discretion following having the K-wire removed from the hammertoe and the bandaging all removed) and generally following advice on what I should and should not do, I am now more or less back to normal. So, I would say to you having read your comments on 28 March, to go ahead. No pain, no gain! And remember left untreated you could find the condition deteriorates and this will impact possibly on your walking. It isn't going to give you a new lease of life overnight and a great deal of patience is required. Our feet take an awful lot of impact getting our bodies from 'A' to 'B' and we do tend to take them very much for granted and it's only when we have a problem that we realise what a brilliant job they do for us. So, they deserve this surgery. Good Luck! And please contact me again if you require any further information or moral support.

P.S. My hammertoe is stiff as the joint is now fused. However, compared with having the toe bent under I would rather have it as it now is. It's not painful and it does still move but, not as flexible as it was. So, don't worry. G

• Posted

Hi Christine

I am 53 and happy that I had it done. Just remember Rest=Ice=Compression=Elevation. Prepare as much as possible for the next few weeks. My surgery were 6 weeks ago, I'm walking up and down the stairs again. About the 3rd week I decided to crawl up stairs and I scooted down them my husband took pictures and showed them to everybody. I had the support of my sisters.  My doctor is pleased with my recovery,some swelling still,no pain. Just remember be patient and enjoy the pampering. When I first went outside and my grandson were here, " He shouted! we have a runner."

Hope all goes well.

God bless 

• Posted

Hi Christine

I had bunions done on both my feet 10 years ago & have no regrets it was painful at first but worth it.  I was in plaster for 7 weeks but managed to walk with crutches after 2 weeks.  My big toes are not straight now as over the years shoes seem to have moved them but I can take long walks without any discomfort & have no regrets.

Regards

Liza

• Posted

Hi, All, at 13 weeks postoperative, I would advise Christine to go for it. It is soooo good to wear shoes again and actually go for walks. Limited walking  for many monthscaused my bone density to worsen, so I am trying to catch up now. I still elevate and ice when I have overdone,and the healing skins still tender,but overall,it is way worth the time lost and the pain in the process. Thanks to this forum for all the help along the way. God bless, Carol

• Posted

Hello smile

I am 24 and I had bunion surgery on both feet TODAY. The surgery went very well, I actually fell asleep when they were doing the second foot. The surgeon is happy with the result. Here is what I can say so far:

1) The meds they will give you can make you drowsy, sleepy, feel like fainting but you have to take them for the first 48 hours to manage the pain.

2) Get up very slowly and make sure someone is there to help you walk should you need to, I already passed out twice today (for a few seconds but still)

3) Get some readings, movies, music, whatever you like, to keep your mind off the pain and have time go faster.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Your comments have been so helpful. I am having surgery tomorrow-June 20. Lapidus procedure to repair bunion, osteotomy on tailor's bunion, and bone spurs removed from back of heel-all on my right foot. I am so worried and nervous about the surgery/recovery!! I am very confident with my doctor, but the unknown can be scary. I am 67 and concerned that my age may affect the recovery. I have even been wondering if I should go through with it, but after reading about what might be ahead (deformed foot) I think I should do it. Since the ball of my foot and the heel are both being operated on my doctor says I can't put weight on my foot at all; I'll be in a cast for 5 weeks then a boot for 3. Any advice you could give me about recovery would be greatly appreciated!
    • Posted

Susie, I'm 67 also and had my surgery 4 months ago.  Yes, it was hard, boring and completely worth it.  Just do what they tell you--elevate, rest, ice and take your meds before you need them.  I was able to get off them in about 3 days and then went to ibuprofen with an occasional stronger med at night.  My surgeon put me on vitamin D and calcium to help with bone recovery.  Get books, movies, etc and put dinners in the freezer to last for a couple of weeks at least.  Enlist help, because you will need it.  You're going to be fine but accept the fact that it will be a long recovery but entirely worth it.  Good luck!
  • Posted

hi i m 5 weeks post op and still wearing the shoe whitch i really dont like wen can i stop wearing it.
  • Posted

Hello I had bunion surgery and also a pin.The pin will be  out next week which will be 6 weeks.The only problem I have is my foot still swells up when on it .Do you still have the same proble?
  • Posted

I'm also 61. I had extensive bunion surgery 7 weeks ago. I'm a nurse and the running, lifting and twisting had my feet in agony. Each person is different. I was in a splint for 12 days, a cast for 4 weeks and one week post-cast, Now I am in physical therapy twice a week. I didn't have pain related to the surgery. I was given narcotics but didn't need them--ibuprofen worked fine. There is intense burning and I have little mobility and weak ankles. I have found that renting a scooter is a far better way to get around the house than crutches and my insurance covered it. If anyone had told me how difficult and uncomfortable and how lengthy the recovery period would be, knowing what I know today, I would have put up with the original foot pain. I had planned to have the other, equally bad foot done next winter but no I'm not so sure. I have some two wires and some plates and bolts implanted that will be permanent.
    • Posted

Hi diane

Is your recovery going any better now? I notice you have burning feelings. I had both feet done just over 3 weeks ago and am having burning feelings with stiffness and numbness at times as well.

Thankyou in advance.

• Posted

I had scarf and akin osteotomy surgery one week ago.  I found on the Internet several papers on the type of surgery, what to expect, and some on nutrition and mending bones.  I too was well prepared, stocking up on food, bring a bed downstairs, making sure I had all my hobbies for easy access surrounding my armchair, which is a recliner.  My husband and I are retired so I rely on him for food and help when required, but being independent I made sure I had everything I needed closeby so I didn't have to bother him, or try to explain what I wanted.

Within 24 hours of the operation I didn't have any pain.  I was given a local anaesthetic as well as the General anaesthetic.  But it was very painful after that, so took co-codamol regularly and that gave me relief and very good sleeps.  I gradually stopped taking these up to four days after the op.  

The one thing that I am disappointed with is how I was sent home with just a wedge shoe, no other means to help keep my balance, but especially no instructions on how to use this aweful shoe!  I couldn't bare to put my foot down until the fourth day, and it took two more days before the shoe was reasonable useful.  Luckily I had a basic walking frame that I'd kept from when I went to hospital with a serious back pain.  That gave me balance and I was able to hop from my chair to the loo and back!  How they expected me to get between chair, bed and the loo I have no idea!  I still do not know how to use the wedge shoe, so if anyone has this sussed then please let me know.  It's rediculous as the wedge means I am not walking straight and so my back is feeling sore.  

I badely needed a shower on the third day, which is upstairs.  I managed to pull myself up stairs on bottom with hands and one foot but it was really difficult.  I bought a plastic cover for showering, off the internet.  It was pure heaven when I got into the shower.  So I have made do with flannel and water in between showers.  Today, day 6, I showered again, managed to pull myself up on bottom again and use my op foot a bit.  Trouble is I have arthritis in my knees and it's becoming painful with all the extra weight on my good leg.  I managed to come down stairs easier one step at a time and standing!  I might try that going up next time.  I am really glad we brought the bed downstairs.

So it is really important to be well prepared before the op, and not to expect things to improve quickly.  I am having funny sensations, twinges and dull aches from my foot, don't know if this is normal.  Sometimes I feel like I have tingling, not sure?  

Im now thinking of hiring or buying a lightweight frame propelling wheelchair, that way I can get out of the house.  But I will still exercise my foot in the house.   If anyone would like to read up on the procedure I had, then I can post here.  Also info on nutrition for mending bones.  I wonder what I wii be thinking about this op in a weeks time.

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

I am 70 days post op. My surgery was quite complicated. To complicate matters more, I have arthritis in my ankles. Having a cast on for 4 weeks certainly didn't help with that so I am having difficulty placing full weight on my ankle.

I noticed you are thinking about a lightweight wheelchair. May I suggest a knee scooter? The scotter is foldable so it's easy to transport outside the home. Another benefit is that you do not loose muscle integrity in other parts of your body (arms, other leg, hips, etc.). My insurance covered the cost of one scotter for 3 months and we purchased another off Ebay for abut $165 as we live in a tri-level home. A shower chair is also an asset.

The funny sensations, twinges and dull aches are very normal and so is the tingling. It subsides over time.

• Posted

Thank you Barbara for your information. I am on the waiting list to have the bunion correction precedure. It is currently past the 12th week of waiting and hoping that any day now I will be called for the operation.

I live with my partner who is currently not working so he will be able to help me. I have started stocking up on bits for in the house and also plan to take up knitting while recovering.

Are there any other recommendations you can give in regards to footwear for wearing after the procedure. I would be grateful for any help you can give.

Lisa x

• Posted

Hi Lisa.  The things that are most important in the first week are:  first to keep your leg raised above your groin, I've read above waist even.  I've used 2-3 pillows on my recliner armchair and in the bed.  Second work out how you can get from bed to loo and chair to loo.  I couldn't put my foot down, too painful so hopped.  I lost my balance a few times and fell, and this was using a walking frame, I could not use crutches as with them you need to be able to put your op foot down a little for balance.  Thirdly make sure you have plenty to do, I couldnt concentrate on reading first week, so tv, DVDs, sewing knitting, puzzles etc.  Lastly you'll want a shower, so buy a special plastic cover for your leg and a plastic stool for the shower.   Make sure your husband can help you as its easy to lose your balance!

Im now on 9 days.  I can walk with crutches, I'm trying a heeled sandal for other foot, as suggested by another member, though don't think its making much difference.  I am able to get to loo, and kitchen ok but cannot keep my foot down for to long as it throbs.  I can even climb up and downstairs holding onto banisters one step at a time.  Today I went into garden to soak up some vitamin D.  I also purchased a lightweight wheelchair with a special leg rest for op foot,  I went to manufacturers and they had a half price demo model to sell.  This is so I can get out of the house now and then, but I've also used it first thing in the morning as I feel dizzy first thing ( but that's me, I'm rather imbalanced person, also 69 years and could do with losing a stone in weight, wish I had before the op). Actually, that's one thing you could do now, build up your strength in your arms and non op leg.   Do you have a bed downstairs? if not you will probably spend the first 5-7 days in your bed upstairs, that's if you can get up there.  But this depends on your fitness, age etc I suppose.  Hope this helps?

All this in

• Posted

Thank you very much barbara.

I will be getting both feet done at the same time. Im hoping with my age 32, I will be okay with the healing time, but who knows.

Luckily, my flat is on the one level, however the bathroom is closer to the bedroom so I may need to live in the bedroom for a while. I was considering picking up an office type chair on wheels so I can get about the flat more easily. Ill need to figure out where I can get a light weight wheel chair local to me.

Thanks very much for your advice. I hope the rest of your recovery time goes well.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm now almost 14 days, foot seems easier to walk on but the wedge shoe makes it difficult, so unbalanced.  I think the healing time might be about the same for all but as I am older they'll be a difference in stamina.  I feel worn out just getting about the house.   You are very brave having both bunions done, if you're in UK the hospital won't allow you home from day surgery unless you have someone with you for at least 24 hours.  You won't be able to walk for at least 3/4 days, it's really painful to out your foot down even in the heeled wedge shoe they give you.  Maybe a commode by your bed? That sounds a good idea about the office chair, but some are easier to wheel than others.  You need something stable.   When is your op?  Hope all goes well for you.  Post here to let's us know.   wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.